Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Realcent.forumco.com Operations and Policy Stmts
 New Forum Announcement - Realcent.org
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  15:37:50  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
The team has created a new forum for Realcent at Realcent.org

We have taken this step to gain some advantages and solve some problems including:

1. A site with a top level directory (realcent) not a subdirectory of another site

2. Hopefully solve the increasing slowness of the Realcent.forumco.com site

3. Forum software that allows for more options and better configuration including some controls that will save admins time and frustration. Of course there is going to be a learning curve.

4. A domain owned and controlled by us, not someone else. We control who hosts for us.

5. The founder realcent is gone, and no one has top level Admin controls on this forum.

6. No need to pay to keep advertising off (we pay hosting though)

We understand there is some inconvenience to change over but we believe the benefits out way the costs.

The new forum at realcent.org is open for business and you are welcome to go register your usernames there and start new threads etc. Please DO NOT take someone else's name from here on the new forum. If we get any complaints of that we will ban the offending user.

Aviators are not set up yet, but will come soon.

We will gradually be locking down this forum but leaving all information intact for future reference.

Any issues you find (and we know there will be some) post in this thread, or post in this thread: You must be logged in to see this link.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  16:01:26  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
Do you think this is something that should be sent out in a mass PM?

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  16:33:26  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
A few problems....

(1) Old time users cannot send PMs. Is there a minimum number of posts that must be made on the new group until a member can post messages?

(2) Using the Control Panel, I tried to enter my location - "Virginia". I got back an error message, "Number you entered is not a valid ICQ number".

(3) I am locked out of the Tracking Thread. Permissions are not enabled for those of us who maintain tracking threads. New topics cannot be entered to continue our threads on the new realcent.org.

(4) I think we will loose continuity with the old realcent posts and threads.

(5) Long time realcent members will be treated like new members on this new group, with restricted priviledges - 10 posts needed before you can do this or that.

(6) Long time Realcent members should retain their titles obtained on the old Realcent Group - 1000+ Penny Miser, etc. That way all members can know the new members from the old RealCent membership.

(7) Message size is limited to 60000 characters. While this does not present a problem for normal posts, the Tracking areas need the ability to go to 100,000 characters for the tracking coordinator's posts.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by - Country on 09/08/2010 18:42:42
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  17:24:28  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
Is there a way to move the Market area feedback thread to realcent.org?

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  17:35:19  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
How can I help?

Rodebaugh

http://rodebaugh.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  17:41:58  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thogey

Is there a way to move the Market area feedback thread to realcent.org?

Good point. All active threads should be moved.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  18:50:41  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Corsair

Do you think this is something that should be sent out in a mass PM?

We will do that. Looking to start the other forum slowly and work out the bugs.

We can't move all (or any) threads over. This is one of the reasons to move because we can't control our data at all here.

Start a new feedback thread with your transaction list and a link back to the old thread. We will not be deleting anything important here. Only cleaning out old completed sales, which we have been doing for some time anyway.

I addressed Country's issues here: You must be logged in to see this link.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:04:18  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
I don't mean to sound rude, but shouldn't the members have been notified about this in advance? Or maybe asked for their opinions? The things you list are important, Jaded, but the problems with this Realcent would never have lead to something drastic.

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:26:30  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Corsair

I don't mean to sound rude, but shouldn't the members have been notified about this in advance? Or maybe asked for their opinions? The things you list are important, Jaded, but the problems with this Realcent would never have lead to something drastic.

Dude, don't complain just accept it a get through the pain!

It' like squeezing a big painful zit on you upper lip just grit your teeth pinch it and get it overwith. It's all about attitude.

We all know who you are so don't worry. It might be kind of fun maybe a grand opening event PTF thing to ease the transition.

Let's just trust the admins and drive on.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:26:40  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
This idea has been raised a few times, especially when the forum goes down or slows down. Generally everyone who discussed it was in favor of going independent. Since we do not own, or fully control admin rights to this forum, the team is concerned about completely losing the forum without any notice We also have no way to back up the data.

This is the start of the notification and the move process. We will not shut down discussion on forumco until everything is running just the way we like, and will leave a lot of time for the change over.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:52:55  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
I recommend not allowing any thread starts in the market place.

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:54:05  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rodebaugh

Why?

Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:55:54  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
let old business play out and such while not allowing any new to start.

can this be done?

Go to Top of Page

rodebaugh
Penny Collector Member

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:58:07  Show Profile Send rodebaugh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thogey

quote:
Originally posted by rodebaugh

Why?

tie up loose ends......Eric ,no worries, you can still sell me all your peace dollars @ 14 each

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:58:36  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
At some point we will lock the marketplace for new threads and give plenty of warning. Not just yet though. Still working out the kinks there.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  20:09:47  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
BTW Jade,

I'll try to temper some of the bitching you are hearing by thanking you guys for maintaining this forum. I really look forward to logging on.

Thanks for building the new site.

I think realcent.org just went down

Edited by - thogey on 09/08/2010 20:14:24
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  20:15:15  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
New forum is really in Beta Testing. We need some members to find the things that do not work the way we like. There are A LOT of controls and levels and ways to configure things there, so bear with us.

I also want to say that the Admin/Mod team here is the same team that will be at realcent.org (minus some inactive members) There is no discord driving the move at all.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

denny
Penny Pincher Member

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  21:12:00  Show Profile Send denny a Private Message
I just joined the new site and love it. was easy to post and set up very professional
congrats guys
Go to Top of Page

Roadrunner
Penny Collector Member

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  21:48:41  Show Profile Send Roadrunner a Private Message
Thanks, joined and go Mod/Admin team! Ya'll are great!

Selling rolls of ultra-rare 1956-1958 wheat pennies for a mere $5 shipped.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  00:05:07  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
Was surprised and was wondering if it would be the same.But it's the people that make the forum not the host site.And I already see that the new forum will be even better than this one.A big THANKS to everyone doing work over there,especially Jade. Change is sometimes difficult but always needed.

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  00:11:18  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
It was a team job and others did the heavy lifting. I just happen to have opened the doors. And yes PennyPauper - we all love "Change"

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  09:20:11  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jadedragon

New forum is really in Beta Testing. We need some members to find the things that do not work the way we like. There are A LOT of controls and levels and ways to configure things there, so bear with us.

I also want to say that the Admin/Mod team here is the same team that will be at realcent.org (minus some inactive members) There is no discord driving the move at all.

I got registered this morning on new site.

Perhaps this is a problem.......I can see PreservingThePast if I look uder "P" in members but it isn't showing up in "All" for members. Also, I see some of the original registered dates show up for those members under "All" but my registered date is today's date 09/09/10. Also, is there some place to create a profile?

Hope you can help me and this information can help you to work out the bugs.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  09:25:29  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PreservingThePast

quote:

Perhaps this is a problem.......I can see PreservingThePast if I look uder "P" in members but it isn't showing up in "All" for members. Also, I see some of the original registered dates show up for those members under "All" but my registered date is today's date 09/09/10. Also, is there some place to create a profile?

Thanks.

I see me now on page 2 of "All" members. But the date for joining is still today's date and my post count didn't transfer over from here nor my joining date from here didn't transfer.

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  09:34:26  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Preserving the Past = when you first join you go into a New Member category and would not show as a Member. Make three posts and that designation goes away. ThePowersThatBe are manually updating post counts and join dates (big job - going way beyond the call of duty) in the order that members are joining. Everyone who went in last night has an updated post count list.

You can fill out your profile and select your own aviator under User Control Panel.

Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  09:40:37  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
All the problems I found yesterday have been fixed. Thank You jadedragon and others who may have helped.

– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  10:00:38  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks.

I see me now on page 2 of "All" members. But the date for joining is still today's date and my post count didn't transfer over from here nor my joining date from here didn't transfer.

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

Although my eyes are not tracking well together at all this morning and the brain is failing me miserably, I have attempted to explore a bit more on the new site. I see that the transferring of information is having to be done manually.

I thank whomever is doing that and please if you would transfer my "Silver Philharmonic" as my avatar too. I don't know who set it up for me on here but someone did and made it unique to me. I would appreciate that courtesy again as time allows for it.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2