Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Coin & Currency Collecting
 USA Numismatics (Coin Collecting)
 Filled "O" mint mark on Morgan Dollar
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  11:54:21  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Yesterday, I was able to buy a cull Morgan dollar with scratches on the face. I don't remember the date off hand but it has an "O" mint mark.

One thing that stuck out to me was that the "O" mint mark was filled in.

Were there any errors involving the "O" mint mark? or is that something that is common?

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson

Market Harmony
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1274 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  12:09:12  Show Profile Send Market Harmony a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennySaved

Yesterday, I was able to buy a cull Morgan dollar with scratches on the face. I don't remember the date off hand but it has an "O" mint mark.

One thing that stuck out to me was that the "O" mint mark was filled in.

Were there any errors involving the "O" mint mark? or is that something that is common?

Take some really good close up pictures and post them. I'll tell you what VAM number it is. Off hand, I cannot recall a "filled O" MM. But it sounds like it is probably a late die state O of some sorts... maybe a 1899 micro O, 1880 small O, or 1884,88,89 round O.

goto the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  12:17:42  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Ok thanks; I will do my best

Are they worth anything even if the face has an "x" scratched through it?

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Market Harmony
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1274 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  21:02:11  Show Profile Send Market Harmony a Private Message
quote:

...Are they worth anything even if the face has an "x" scratched through it?

yes... silver content

Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  04:31:41  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Yeah I figured the silver but if it is scratched then it would not have any numismatic value even if it had a filled "o"

Go to Top of Page

Market Harmony
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1274 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  09:19:20  Show Profile Send Market Harmony a Private Message
quote:

Yeah I figured the silver but if it is scratched then it would not have any numismatic value even if it had a filled "o"

That's right. There are not too many collectors of coins with X's on them. It would have to be an ultra rarity or have another aspect to it that would give it any value. The damage makes it undesirable.

Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  10:28:38  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Only if it were a rare VAM might it have numismatic value. Filled mintmarks (Think "D"s) are never too rare.

Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  19:15:51  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
There is a 1882-O/S variety, but they are relatively common. A cull probably will not fetch much of a premium.

Here is a link to a scratched 1882-O/S Morgan Dollar on eBay.

You must be logged in to see this link.

copperhead57

Edited by - copperhead57 on 09/05/2010 19:29:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2