Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 scrap metal found while metal detecting.
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bman
Penny Collector Member

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  21:46:08  Show Profile Send bman a Private Message
Just curious, I find a fair amount of scrap metal (all kinds) when I go metal detecting. Old copper pipe fittings, brass hose nozzles, aluminum window screen frames etc. The problem is it's all very dirty from being buried, how would that affect the prices paid?

I did drop off 5 pounds of bullet shells/casings a couple weeks ago, they paid $1.10 per pound, seemed kind of low for brass. Is that low?

check out my coins for sale on ecrater : http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  21:57:23  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
Brass should go for $1.50 a pound.

Bullet shells and casings are worth ALOT more than melt for re-use as casings. Craigslist and gun shops might have interest in those.

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page

wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

177 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  07:31:53  Show Profile Send wayne1956 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bman

Just curious, I find a fair amount of scrap metal (all kinds) when I go metal detecting. Old copper pipe fittings, brass hose nozzles, aluminum window screen frames etc. The problem is it's all very dirty from being buried

I will take the copper or brass I find MDing and clean all the dirt off it I can. Then I usually take a drill and place a wire brush type of fitting into it, and then clean off a bit of the tarnish off of the metal so the scrap yard can see what it is. I then just take it and throw it in with the other of its kind that I have found scrapping. I have done this with several brass items (including hose nozzles) and copper pipe, and have never had a problem yet.

Edited by - wayne1956 on 08/25/2010 07:32:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2