Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 May 1st Boston water main break
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

caridad
Penny Pincher Member

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  02:52:32  Show Profile Send caridad a Private Message
Is anyone on this forum from Boston? In Cali during may 1st we get waylaid bycommunist protestors demanding immigration and healthcare reform. So when I, literally just now, found out about the water main break in Boston on may 1st of this year I wasn't surprised. I learned about it from You must be logged in to see this link. .

So my question is is anyone here from Boston? How did you cope from this disatrous nightmare? What did you do before during and after?

ARE YOU READY? ARE YOU SELF SUFFICIENT? ARE YOU GREEN????

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  12:06:23  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
I live 10 miles west of Boston, inside the MWRA district where that water main serves. The main that broke is the main feed from the quabbin reservoir out in central mass. Its a 10 foot diameter feed main serving 2 million households and businesses. The MWRA imediately put into place several emergency backup resevoirs, including the sudbury aquaduct, spot pond reservoir and the chestnut hill reservoir. All of these backup sources are untreated. The minute they announced the break, which was between 10 and 11 am on a saturday morning, bottled water supplies from every supermarket and warehouse inside the district was gone within 2 hours. I sat out on my porch sipping my cup of coffee watching neighbors flee in their vehicles to grab any bottled water they could. Some had to travel over an hour outside the district to find any bottled water. After I finished my coffee, I went down to my basement and admired my stacks of water cases and went about my day as if nothing was going on. I was running a little lower than usual on my stack, but it was still enough to get through the whole ordeal plus some. That morning I was actually planning a Costco trip to replenish a few cases, that plan was cancelled. Supermarkets were flocked, cases of water were rationed, some fights broke out in parking lots over cases of water. It would take a couple days for poland springs to ramp up 24 hour production and truck in 18 wheelers full of water, which they gave out at locations all across the city. Meanwhile, I continue to go about my business as usual.

How did I cope with this nightmare? I already had enough drinking water available on hand BEFORE the incident.
What did I do before the incident? I always keep a minimum amount of bottled water on hand at all times.
What did I do during the incident? Nothing, went about my day as if nothing was wrong.
What did I do after the incident? Went out and replenished my stock of water at a discount since supermarkets and warehouses had to much bottled water after the water main was restored.
Go to Top of Page

caridad
Penny Pincher Member

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  12:20:28  Show Profile Send caridad a Private Message
Thanks for the input.

ARE YOU READY? ARE YOU SELF SUFFICIENT? ARE YOU GREEN????
Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  12:30:57  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
It pays to be prepared for anything, I was able to convince some nieghbors to keep bottled water on hand at all times after this incident. If I had to, I was prepared to offer some of my water to neighbors that weren't able to get any, but from everyone I talked to, they were able to get some sort of bottled water. Boiling the water was also an option.
Go to Top of Page

Beau
Penny Pincher Member

216 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  12:54:31  Show Profile Send Beau a Private Message
did the protesters break the water main?
Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  13:07:54  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
Failed coupling
Go to Top of Page

justoneguy

17 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  23:57:41  Show Profile Send justoneguy a Private Message
does anyone have a large tank in their basement??
I am thinking of putting a 300 gal tank inline in front of my water heater.
It should save me on heating energy costs, water gets close to room temp b4 heating it.
any ideas on the pro's or con's of this??
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  09:47:52  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
good video "Empty Store Shelves Coming to America?"
You must be logged in to see this link.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

IdahoCopper
Penny Pincher Member

125 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  10:49:40  Show Profile Send IdahoCopper a Private Message
I have a 150' deep well and a 6.5kw diesel backup genny for the house. There is 25 gal of diesel in the shed.

It would be nice to have a 250 gal. diesel tank, but I haven't decided if its such a good idea to cycle that fuel to keep it fresh, in the diesel Mercedes, and the diesel pickup. Could be trouble not paying the $0.45 per gallon road tax.

See - http://IdahoCopper.com

and:
http://beefjerky.com
Go to Top of Page

harper
Penny Sorter Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  03:00:53  Show Profile Send harper a Private Message
I've heard of the hot water tank water resevoir.... they were required in london for some time. made for horrible water pressure there.

how about a berkey filter?
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  00:25:10  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by harper

I've heard of the hot water tank water resevoir.... they were required in london for some time. made for horrible water pressure there.

how about a berkey filter?

I've never used one, but you'd better hope you're not in California:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly