Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?




 All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Illegal Immigrants?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member


USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  11:26:28  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
Is Canada now the 51st state of the Union? Apparently many in the United States think so. Cleaning out a large bowl of change, to separate out the nickels, I noticed a high percentage (A little more than ten percent, in fact) of the quarters were Canadian... and I'm down in Central California! So I'm wondering how to dump/spend these... if it will be a problem? Not to worry. After two fast food drive thrus they're all spent. Both places asked about them as they counted them in... and not to disparage the intelligence of undocumented workers often hired in these places, but... at the first one when the manager said they couldn't accept these, I told him "but I just got them from the bank, they're using these now as well as American coins because of the high cost of issuing new quarters." He paused, then said "Uhhmmm, okay." The second place the girl asked how come some of the quarters looked funny, and I told her "oh that's because they're commemorative quarters, haven't you noticed that all of the states have their own now? She says, "I didn't know Canada was a state?" I told her "Sure, it has been since 2002." She handed me my bag and said "Wow, I didn't know that."

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View


PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member



USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  11:59:21  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
The futures so bright,I gotta wear shades.
Go to Top of Page

AGCoinHunter
Penny Hoarding Member



USA
685 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  12:10:57  Show Profile Send AGCoinHunter a Private Message
*speachless*.....

Wow.....the ipod/iphone/ipad/ischool/iamastupidgovernmenteducated generation is alive and well.



"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson

"There is no difference between communism and socialism, except in the means of achieving the same ultimate end: communism proposes to enslave men by force, socialismóby vote. It is merely the difference between murder and suicide." - Ayn Rand
________________________________________________

Lenin: Class-based International Socialism
Hitler: Race-based National Socialism
Obama: Class- and Race-based Post-National Socialism
Go to Top of Page

bsno2865
Penny Sorter Member



USA
62 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  12:21:35  Show Profile Send bsno2865 a Private Message
Isn't it nice to know that B.O. answers to Mexico now instead of the state of Arizona as well as the U.S. After all,that is his base now apparently.

Brian North
Go to Top of Page

Kiwiman
Penny Pincher Member



225 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  12:22:07  Show Profile Send Kiwiman a Private Message
i usually get 1-4 canadian pennies per roll
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member



USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  12:30:47  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwiman

i usually get 1-4 canadian pennies per roll

how close to the Canadian border are you? I figure all these quarters are sneaking across now that we have the Fifty States program and everyone is used to seeing strange looking coins.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator



USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  13:07:53  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
We get a lot of Canadian coins up here in northeast Ohio. Few pay attention to them. With the recent strength of the Canadian dollar they may be worthy of hoarding.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.


Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member



USA
851 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  13:27:56  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I find more Canadians pennies than wheats here in FL.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

killerken53
Penny Pincher Member



172 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  15:26:09  Show Profile Send killerken53 a Private Message
Canadian change circulates interchangably with US change here in western PA. It is not uncommon nor does it faze anyone to recieve canadian cents, nickels, dimes or quarters in change, or to spend them. The cummins coin sorters at the banks even count them if you manually push them past the magnet.

On a side note, canadian dimes are the scourge of edge sorting dimes. They have a different number of reeds, carefully looking at them I can usually guess if it is US silver or canadian nickel (have recieved canadian silver too).
Go to Top of Page

didou
Penny Sorter Member



Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  17:13:33  Show Profile Send didou a Private Message
Here in Canada (around 70 miles from the US)

On my last 3 box of penny i found 626 US penny (including 15 wheat) total 8.35% of US penny, actually my older coins i found are US not Canadian.

I don't have data about nickels, dimes and quarters but i think it's very similar for the nickels and dime and lot less on the quarters.

Here change are completely interchangeably, it's even written on the nearest CoinStar machine that they accept US change as Canadian, every bank and store accept them without question or looking at them.
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member



USA
523 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  19:31:39  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
Wait; is Mexico a state too?

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member



USA
588 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  22:43:38  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwiman

i usually get 1-4 canadian pennies per roll



I don't get quite as many but my copper hoard does include a box of Canadian pennies.

I estimate that I've retrieved about $5 in Canadian coins from Coinstar reject trays; including one 1966 80% silver quarter. I consider it currency diversification.
Go to Top of Page

BadKarma
Penny Sorter Member



USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  07:57:27  Show Profile Send BadKarma a Private Message
I asked my bank what they do with the Canadian coins they get, they said they have to give them back, they can't accept them.

I live near and work in Branson Missouri and would think that with the tourist action we get here that there would be Canadian coins everywhere.

As to the Canadian STATE QUARTERS, how hard of a face palm can I do without knocking myself out? =sheesh= unreal.

If you bowhunt Cape Buffalo, you just might wet your pants!
Go to Top of Page

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member



572 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  12:35:17  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message
So. Cal, Nice!

I spent the summer of 1984 in Chula Vista and hung out at Imperial Beach. A Summer to remember!

Anyway, when I lived in Detroit I seen them often. Now down here in South Florida I see very few Canadian quarters. What I have seen lately is an influx of older quarters, 60's and 70's coming in change from all over. Where I had been seeing nothing but the state quarters prior.

The story was awesome!

Sounds like something in my own Repertoire.

Love it!


"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"

" The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."

H.L. Mencken

http://silver-news-today.com/
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator



USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  20:16:44  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Funny how if you sound confident enough sheeple will believe anything nowdays

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member



USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  20:34:45  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BadKarma
[br]I asked my bank what they do with the Canadian coins they get, they said they have to give them back, they can't accept them.
I live near and work in Branson Missouri and would think that with the tourist action we get here that there would be Canadian coins everywhere.

As to the Canadian STATE QUARTERS, how hard of a face palm can I do without knocking myself out? =sheesh= unreal.


I've been told by more than one bank that they throw the foreign coins away. In fact, I have one that still keeps them for me and just lets me have them when I come in. Free money, works for me.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member



USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  20:35:00  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BadKarma
[br]I asked my bank what they do with the Canadian coins they get, they said they have to give them back, they can't accept them.
I live near and work in Branson Missouri and would think that with the tourist action we get here that there would be Canadian coins everywhere.

As to the Canadian STATE QUARTERS, how hard of a face palm can I do without knocking myself out? =sheesh= unreal.


I've been told by more than one bank that they throw the foreign coins away. In fact, I have one that still keeps them for me and just lets me have them when I come in. Free money, works for me.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member



USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  21:28:18  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

Funny how if you sound confident enough sheeple will believe anything nowdays


That's the thing, Derek. This whole deal was kinda an experiment to see how gullible they are. I keep changing my answers to see what else they will believe. But I didn't realize that Canadian change was basically interchangeable in the Northern border states. I learned something!

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheikh_yer_BuTay
Penny Pincher Member



USA
232 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  07:59:53  Show Profile Send Sheikh_yer_BuTay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beauanderos

Is Canada now the 51st state of the Union? Apparently many in the United States think so. Cleaning out a large bowl of change, to separate out the nickels, I noticed a high percentage (A little more than ten percent, in fact) of the quarters were Canadian... and I'm down in Central California! So I'm wondering how to dump/spend these... if it will be a problem? Not to worry. After two fast food drive thrus they're all spent. Both places asked about them as they counted them in... and not to disparage the intelligence of undocumented workers often hired in these places, but... at the first one when the manager said they couldn't accept these, I told him "but I just got them from the bank, they're using these now as well as American coins because of the high cost of issuing new quarters." He paused, then said "Uhhmmm, okay." The second place the girl asked how come some of the quarters looked funny, and I told her "oh that's because they're commemorative quarters, haven't you noticed that all of the states have their own now? She says, "I didn't know Canada was a state?" I told her "Sure, it has been since 2002." She handed me my bag and said "Wow, I didn't know that."



LOL! Brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

abe
Penny Pincher Member



117 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  06:13:35  Show Profile Send abe a Private Message
LOL, the future looks very grim. Here in my part of WV we spend and recieve canadian change as if it were US currency. With all the changes in our coinage must people don't have a clue what they're spending.
Go to Top of Page

Kiwiman
Penny Pincher Member



225 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  17:03:27  Show Profile Send Kiwiman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beauanderos

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwiman

i usually get 1-4 canadian pennies per roll

how close to the Canadian border are you? I figure all these quarters are sneaking across now that we have the Fifty States program and everyone is used to seeing strange looking coins.



I live in michigan so pretty close but we do have the lakes =]
Go to Top of Page

barrytrot
Administrator



USA
721 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  18:32:58  Show Profile Send barrytrot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beauanderos

quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

Funny how if you sound confident enough sheeple will believe anything nowdays


That's the thing, Derek. This whole deal was kinda an experiment to see how gullible they are. I keep changing my answers to see what else they will believe. But I didn't realize that Canadian change was basically interchangeable in the Northern border states. I learned something!



You do realize that most likely they didn't care one way or the other. They are running a drive through. They don't have time to mess with people counterfeiting something with virtually no value :)

If you tried the same with a 20, then you can do your gullibility test. 25 cents isn't a test, that just shows that people don't care about a quarter, especially when it isn't even their quarter.

So don't make negative comments about these people when I'm pretty astonished they even noticed. I can't believe anyone would bother being that observant! So, I applaud these guys as they seem pretty on the ball!
Go to Top of Page

Dave
Penny Pincher Member



156 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  07:39:52  Show Profile Send Dave a Private Message
And I thought it was 2003.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member



USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  11:02:12  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shattered

Wait; is Mexico a state too?



Yes, it is our official Welfare state. At least 10 billion is sent there every year.

Not to even count the official Government aide, or the illegal drug money.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member



USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  11:09:02  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
As for foreign change...

I had a Credit Union back in Indiana that DID save change for my BOYS for about 3 months...
Then one day I didn't see the canister I had left them. They told me that for auditing reasons they couldn't leave currency/coin just lying around. Which meant they were throwing it in the trash! :(

We received like $6 bucks in Canadian from them before they tossed it.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member



USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:30:27  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
At least Canadian change has the same nominal value as our clad, and the dollar and loony are near parity. If Mexico had coins that were similar in value NAFTA would probably precipitate their cross border usage as well.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2
Powered by ForumCo 2000-2008
TOS - AUP - URA - Privacy Policy
ForumCo Free Blogs and Galleries
Signup for a free forum or Go Banner Free