Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Would it be worth it to pay someone $5 to sort?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  11:53:57  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
do you guys think it's wort it to pay someone $5 an hr to sort? Also if you really trusted them You could have them take them back to dump bank, coinstar, or however you get rid of them. If you had 3 ryedales and they were able to run 18000 an hr= 54,000/hr max. should be able to do 40,000/hr normally. If you figure a 20% CU rate which is a tad low I believe you're still pulling 8K CU and hr.8,000X 1.2c is $16 profit per hr. Granted you have some extras in there that are going to hit your bottom line such as cracking rolls pickups etc. I know without trying too hard I could pick up 5k a week in pennies. Getting rid of $4000 would be a little harder but If I picked up a rolling machine for $1k or so would make it much easier. Just looking to get everyone's thoughts and my Numbers are low to make sure you cover worst case scenarios.

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.

rosco
Penny Collector Member

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  12:21:44  Show Profile Send rosco a Private Message
I would not sort for less than $10.00 per hour an I'm retired but my time is still worth that. JM2C

Who is paying for the Raydales??

Or are you talking about hand sorting?

Old Geezer a HAND Sorter
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  12:47:51  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rosco

I would not sort for less than $10.00 per hour an I'm retired but my time is still worth that. JM2C

Who is paying for the Raydales??

Or are you talking about hand sorting?

Good point, Rosco... probably only a child would work (feeding the Ryedale's) for $5 an hour. You'd need to pay at least minimum wage to someone older who could drive and do the bank exchanges. Are you planning on stockpiling or can you get a return on your investment at these prices? Who is going to pay significantly more than $1.20 for copper? If you do have a buyer, why not just rely on your present business plan of buying sorted from the existing network of forum members at your offered price? It may not tempt many, but a few will always need the cash and should provide you with a steady flow of sorted. If you've got the capital, why sort yourself? Time is the most expensive commodity.. let someone else sort for you. JMHO

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  12:54:31  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Isn't 5$ below the minimum wage laws?

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  13:55:47  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Minimum wage does not ALWAYS apply. I know agriculture is exempted, and perhaps it kicks in if you have x amount of employees, but not sure on the last part.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

Kiwiman
Penny Pincher Member

225 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  17:06:42  Show Profile Send Kiwiman a Private Message
If you have 3 rydales then i think it is
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  22:39:55  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I have a guy who is on SS that I actually pay $5 to do odd jobs sometimes. I haven't been able to do any sorting myself the last few weeks as I've been super busy. Only 1 Ryedale for now but plan on getting more when time frees up or something like stated above happens.
Just seeing what you guys thought.

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  02:30:27  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I've thought about hiring a teenager to sort for me, but then I have to make sure I get coins and return coins etc. Too much responsibility to keep someone else busy. I prefer to just sort when I feel like sorting.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  05:39:13  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
If you have someone happy to accept $5 cash an hour, who doesn't want to jeopardize their social security limits, than that is a different matter. Then it becomes not, is his time worth $5 an hour, but is yours? You need to stay free to do what brings in the greatest income for you... and if you make enough doing that to subsidize his retirement, then way too good. Is he happy with the arrangement? If yes, than why mess with it?

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

battlecat
Penny Pincher Member

152 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  14:42:45  Show Profile Send battlecat a Private Message
What part of Ohio I need a part time job in Jan. when I move there :P
Go to Top of Page

wheeler_dealer
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  15:42:54  Show Profile  Send wheeler_dealer a Yahoo! Message Send wheeler_dealer a Private Message
Something to consider also is disposal of zincs. If you have to buy a rolling machine, can you cover the added expenses of this i/e fixed costs of electric, paper wraps,etc. Like most of us here time is a valuable commodity. When you run short of sorting time, stock pile for the fall and winter season. You have the capital to invest so why not stockpile for the off season when supplies become tighter, or as suggested just buy the sorted copper at the current market prices this makes more sense if you only want to accumulate. Consider the human factor. Who will watch your $5.00 an hour sorter Just a small skim every few days can negate any gain in the "cheap labor". There are many sellers here, some even local who will sell you bulk for the right price. After reading the stories of the problems some on here have been having I would think your bank connections might tire of large purchases and zinc dumps after a while and cut back or maybe even off your supply. Good Luck if you try it.
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  16:23:56  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
Seems to me that it would be cheaper and less stressfull to just buy the sorted copper.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  16:34:06  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Maybe throw a coin wrapping party; kind of like kids in college who throw a painting party to get their apartment painted :)

I actually have a friend who wraps my zincs for free. She actually finds it relaxing to sit in front of the T.V. and wrap pennies. I supply the pennies and the wrappers and she wraps them. Sometimes she will even turn them in at the bank for me.

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  17:28:50  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennySaved

Maybe throw a coin wrapping party; kind of like kids in college who throw a painting party to get their apartment painted :)

I actually have a friend who wraps my zincs for free. She actually finds it relaxing to sit in front of the T.V. and wrap pennies. I supply the pennies and the wrappers and she wraps them. Sometimes she will even turn them in at the bank for me.

What's her number? I return loose, but having rolled coin would allow me to dump at even more banks. I have a few zincs she could roll....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  17:44:55  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
She actually helps keep me caught up; I gave her 6 boxes the other day haha

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Coinage
Penny Collector Member

Canada
303 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  22:54:08  Show Profile Send Coinage a Private Message
If someone offered me $5 an hour to do anything I would laugh hysterically in his face. Worried about trust issues with the "Sorter" stealing money? You can have him/her sort the pennies in your kitchen, in the nude... you know, like in a Heroin or Cocaine lab.

Commission pay would probably be more realistic, keeps your nude worker(s) focused on making $9 - $10 bucks an hour.

Positive Feedback Selling Score
Copper Sold (0 lots) / Nickel Sold (0 lots) / Silver Sold (0 lots) / WTB-WTS-WTT (1 lots)
Rate me on a scale of 1 to 5

• jldco - 5.5
  • ___
  • ___
  • Go to Top of Page

TXBullion
    Penny Collector Member

374 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  23:27:16  Show Profile Send TXBullion a Private Message
    Lol
    Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
    Administrator

Canada
    3788 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  02:34:11  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
    Nude workers is not too far off. When I toured the RCM I learned that at the Mint they metal detect everyone coming and going from work. No metal zippers or buttons - only Velcro on clothing. You have to be 100% metal clean so no skimming coins day by day.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
    Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
    Passive Income blog
    Go to Top of Page

marine70
    Penny Pincher Member

USA
    150 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  08:45:00  Show Profile Send marine70 a Private Message
    Yea you had better pay at least minimum wage. All the president's men and women are looking for extra money for healthcare. They could be watching.
    Go to Top of Page

AFModell
    Penny Sorter Member

USA
    82 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  12:18:19  Show Profile Send AFModell a Private Message
    If youre willing to wait 5 years, just have a few children now. :) Ive told my wife, shamelessly, that when we have kids I will do my best to get them interested in my hobbies. I mean, cmon, whats cuter than a 5 year old begging banks for half dollar bags? Ill be around to carry it for them.

In seriousness, I dont know that $5 is worth the potential opsec risk. You open yourself up to "the trusted insider" risk. I would be wary of anyone outside of immediate family knowing how much I sort, where its kept, or being too friendly with the tellers at my deposit bank. If you have a dedicated brick and mortar offsite location from your personal or main storage, I think thats a bit safer.

A penny saved is...TWO pennies earned!
    Go to Top of Page

misteroman
    Administrator

USA
    2565 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  08:39:49  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
    Funny you should mention that. My 18mo old snags any coin he can get his hands on then runs to his big alligator bank, drops it in and starts clapping! Going to start hitting up the guests soon.

Go to Top of Page

Max

2 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  22:34:57  Show Profile Send Max a Private Message
    This is my first post, and I'm not familiar with the board yet. I did not realize until looking around a bit that the administrator here is the owner of Ryedale. I am a retired machine mechanic and am near completing my own sorter. I bought the comparator directly from a manufacturer. I'm still working out a minor bug in the feeding mechanism, but otherwise it works great.

Edited by - Max on 07/31/2010 00:52:42
    Go to Top of Page

Max

2 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  22:37:41  Show Profile Send Max a Private Message
    I might add, I do not intend to manufacture and sell them though, so please don't ask.
    Go to Top of Page

misteroman
    Administrator

USA
    2565 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  23:27:21  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
    quote:
    Originally posted by Max

This is my first post, and I'm not familiar with the board yet. I did not realize until looking around a bit that the administrator here is the owner of Ryedale. I am a retired machine mechanic and am near completing my own sorter. I bought the comparator directly from a manufacturer. I'm still working out a minor bug in the feeding mechanism, but otherwise it works great.

And how is that at all relative to my thread?

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
    1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
    3890 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  06:13:21  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
    It's not....

Deal

Live free or die.
    Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
    - Samuel Adams
    Go to Top of Page

twentybux
    Penny Pincher Member

174 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  13:55:30  Show Profile Send twentybux a Private Message
    Meanwhile back at the ranch...I agree with several others that if it is a business venture you are looking into, $5 would seem a little low to get workers. I would be afraid that the 5 finger discount would come into play. If you are looking at investing these coppers and you have the loot, pick up some from the fellow forum members. But hey, we live in a free country (for the time being), so you must do what makes you happy. Just my two cents...or twentybux. Adios!
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     Forum Locked
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
    RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2