Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 hoarding nickels vs buying pre-sorted copper cents
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Klark Cent
Penny Sorter Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  00:45:06  Show Profile Send Klark Cent a Private Message
hey guys,

which do you think is better: hoarding nickels bought for face value from banks or buying copper cents from others who have already sorted out the zincolns?

of course it depends on the price you would have to pay for the copper cents. let's say 1.45x shipped.

i would like to build a hoard bigger than my occasional hand-sorting has me on pace for.

i guess another option would be to accumulate unsorted penny boxes (purchased from banks now - before the copper percentages inevitably get lower), then sort a little here and there over the next few years. by then we'll probably be hoarding the zinc cents too .

any thoughts would be appreciated.

i am very interested to hear the other side.

thx

Edited by - Klark Cent on 07/21/2010 17:35:13

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  02:09:42  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
I know the 5 cent piece has at times been above 5 cents in melt value.And I havent worked out the numbers but I would think nickel prices would really have to skyrocket for it to be worth twice its face in melt,and even then you would be hard pressed to get that reflected in market prices,just look at current cu cent prices for sale here.The cu cents are close to 2x face in metal value vs. its value as a cent,but sell only for 1.3x face.No one I know of is buying common nickels for a premium.If copper reaches just over $4 a pound then cu cents will have a metal value 3x its face,and one would think it would be easier to move pennies at 2x face then.
But we don't know what the future holds for the nickel,or the penny.
It would take only one law to remove them from circulation making them rare and more collectable.I have a $100 box of pre 64 nicks that I sorted back when I hand sorted,found some war nicks and buffs,and keep them just because you never know.
Maybe Ponce will chime in with his thoughts on nicks.And I'm sure someone can provide some numbers on nickel price to melt value relation.
And welcome to the forum
Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  03:25:44  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
I just did some quick math based on todays nickel and copper prices.
If both metals see a 33% increase it would take the metal or melt value of a nickel close to .065 cents. Thats with copper at $4 and nickel at $11.42. The penny at $4 copper price would relate to a .026 metal value of the cu cent.Copper at $4.65 a pound is the magic number for 3xface for pennies.
IMO cu cents is the way to go.You can buy them here from 1.3x-to 1.4x pretty much all day.But most of us selling them wish it was at least 1.6 shipped

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  09:05:34  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
I think if CU gets above $4 in the near future, you will see very few people selling at 1.6

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

Klark Cent
Penny Sorter Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  17:33:21  Show Profile Send Klark Cent a Private Message
thanks for the replies. so why would someone hoard common nickels when they could buy presorted copper pennies much cheaper? i can think of a couple possible reasons.

with nickels bought at face there's no downside risk if copper prices drop a lot. copper lincolns bought at 1.3 would have 30% downside.

and i suppose the nickels would take up less space for the same investment amount.

but buying presorted copper cents seems clearly better.
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  17:41:46  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
Hahahahahaha
bricks of nic's!
Go to Top of Page

frugalcanuck
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  18:56:23  Show Profile Send frugalcanuck a Private Message
I started by sorting nickels and still sort more nickels than pennies but Im going to start leaning towards pennies. I enjoy nickels more but if I want plan on selling some had sorted coins to make enough money to buy a Rydale with the profits then I think pennies is the better way to go. Also I am in Canada so i do find .999 Ni. I also sort out the CuNi ones as well though. It doesnt make financial sense at the moment to keep CuNi and that is why I am starting to lean towards pennies.

I am also on the beginner side of sorting so there may be many points I have not taken into consideration

One box of Nickels

11.65% .999 Ni
Go to Top of Page

TheJonasCollegeFund
Penny Collector Member

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  20:27:36  Show Profile Send TheJonasCollegeFund a Private Message
Pennies are more fun and you can buy more meaning later on you can, if you want, sell more.

MD Totals: Started Aug16th.(Updated Sept10th) 819 clad/cu coins/$41.13
Quarters-78
Dimes-122+1 silver roosie (1957)
Nickels-81 (56d,53d)
Copper Pennies-147
Zinc Pennies-386
Wheats-5 (36,36,46,46d,50d)
Go to Top of Page

TheJonasCollegeFund
Penny Collector Member

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  23:26:18  Show Profile Send TheJonasCollegeFund a Private Message
Klark.....when you take off your shirt and tie....do they call you Super....cent?

MD Totals: Started Aug16th.(Updated Sept10th) 819 clad/cu coins/$41.13
Quarters-78
Dimes-122+1 silver roosie (1957)
Nickels-81 (56d,53d)
Copper Pennies-147
Zinc Pennies-386
Wheats-5 (36,36,46,46d,50d)
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  01:07:53  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Klark,

The idea of buying boxes of unsorted Cents isn't a bad one.

Just, if you leave the boxes closed/sealed, WEIGH THEM OUT, any weighing 15 lbs or more can be saved for later sorting, they have about 25% copper or more.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2010 :  01:01:12  Show Profile Send Investin Cents a Private Message
I started sorting cents & it is still fun. But cents are just smaller denomination than nicks. So it depends what mood I'm in. For pure hoarding, easier storage of large amounts of $$$ & easier conversion to spending, nicks are it! For more "adventure" & more immediate (and longer-term) upside, cents are the way! Do both and alternate!

Most recent book I've read: "Meltdown" by Thomas E. Woods Jr. Current book: "I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone & No One Can Pay" by John Lanchester
Go to Top of Page

Klark Cent
Penny Sorter Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  01:55:36  Show Profile Send Klark Cent a Private Message
"Klark.....when you take off your shirt and tie....do they call you Super....cent?"

Ha ha. I think they just wish I would put my shirt back on.

Edited by - Klark Cent on 07/25/2010 01:56:26
Go to Top of Page

Klark Cent
Penny Sorter Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  02:00:05  Show Profile Send Klark Cent a Private Message
Thanks everyone. I have now switched my focus to pennies. I will keep the nickels I already have (about $250 face) and keep any others I receive in change.

Then I will buy already-sorted copper pennies and hand sort some more until my hoard size gets significant.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  04:09:48  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
glad to help!!!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  12:53:15  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
Klark... try to stay away from the green corroded pennies, they're really coated with verdigris, not kryptonite... but we all get sick of em

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/

Edited by - beauanderos on 07/25/2010 13:26:08
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  12:57:48  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

Hoard now and hold on!

Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  12:58:44  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link. This guy argues that nickels are the way to go

Hoard now and hold on!

Go to Top of Page

frugalcanuck
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  21:50:15  Show Profile Send frugalcanuck a Private Message
The survival blog is what got me sorting nickels but I think pennies makes more sense if you dont mind sorting

One box of Nickels

11.65% .999 Ni
Go to Top of Page

wiper
Penny Sorter Member

36 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  22:29:43  Show Profile Send wiper a Private Message
i'm still doing 1-2 boxes of pennies every week, and the corner store a half-block away has stopped rolling their eyes when i ask for a roll of nickels instead of the 2 or 3 bucks in change.

almost to a box of nickels, definitely not a priority.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  22:36:09  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
As I've posted on here before, I've never spent a nickel since my son was born(jan 09) and am actually getting a nice amount saved. at least a few hundred dollars worth if not more.

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  14:03:43  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

As I've posted on here before, I've never spent a nickel since my son was born(jan 09) and am actually getting a nice amount saved. at least a few hundred dollars worth if not more.

You must be doing a heck of a lot of daily transactions to have saved up a couple of hundred in 18 months, but apparently it's possible. Definitely the easiest way to go, instead of making bank runs.

Hoard now and hold on!

Go to Top of Page

Fatboy
Penny Sorter Member

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  14:49:08  Show Profile Send Fatboy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beauanderos

quote:

You must be doing a heck of a lot of daily transactions to have saved up a couple of hundred in 18 months, but apparently it's possible. Definitely the easiest way to go, instead of making bank runs.

There has to be a statistician amongst us that can tell the average number of sales that one has to complete to collect a dollars worth of nickles. The nickle is the least likely coin to get in your change for sure.
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  12:19:55  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy

quote:
Originally posted by beauanderos

quote:

There has to be a statistician amongst us that can tell the average number of sales that one has to complete to collect a dollars worth of nickles. The nickle is the least likely coin to get in your change for sure.

293 ways to get change for a dollar. You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  17:22:50  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Klark Cent

thanks for the replies. so why would someone hoard common nickels when they could buy presorted copper pennies much cheaper? i can think of a couple possible reasons.

with nickels bought at face there's no downside risk if copper prices drop a lot. copper lincolns bought at 1.3 would have 30% downside.

and i suppose the nickels would take up less space for the same investment amount.

but buying presorted copper cents seems clearly better.

I agree with your reasoning, but on the other hand, IMO, the melt ban on copper cents is more likely to be lifted before the one on nickels is.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Spikeanator6982
Penny Sorter Member

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  17:45:26  Show Profile Send Spikeanator6982 a Private Message
I don't really know, but it seems there might be a more of a hit on nickels "scrap" price because it is a 25% nickel/75% copper mix. I assume it would cost more to refine then the 95% copper pennies would. Anyone have any info on this? It is possible that nickel and copper would be easier to separate then the 95% copper and 5% other is in the penny, I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

dpwozney
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  10:43:08  Show Profile Send dpwozney a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Spikeanator6982

I don't really know, but it seems there might be a more of a hit on nickels "scrap" price because it is a 25% nickel/75% copper mix. I assume it would cost more to refine then the 95% copper pennies would. Anyone have any info on this? It is possible that nickel and copper would be easier to separate then the 95% copper and 5% other is in the penny, I don't know.

Separating nickel from copper might not be necessary because You must be logged in to see this link. alloy itself has many commercial applications.

Also, why would anyone want to melt nickels or pennies? People can be reasonably confident of the metal content of unmelted pennies and unmelted nickels. There is not the same level of confidence of the metal content of a blob of metal from a stranger.

Many unmelted coins made mainly, or purely, of copper, silver, or nickel have a higher market value than the intrinsic value of the metal contained in the coin.

"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts." (Haggai 2:8)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2