Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Guides/Articles/Blogs Written By Realcent Members
 A picture from the future?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  02:15:23  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
Disregarding the date on the diary/planner, is this a picture from the future showing what I will be taking with me to the local barter market to get food?

For defense:
-.38 caliber revolver w/hip holster
-Toro steel hunting knife
-Self-defense LED flashlight

For trade:
-$10 roll of Canadian quarters
-$50 FRN
-1 oz. Cu bullion bar
-Euro coins
-1/10th oz. gold krugerand
-2 lighters
-2 ink pens
-Bag of seasoning salt
-Stack of British CuNi coins (OK, I am "talking my book" a little with these, haha)

Miscellaneous:
-Compass
-Day planner
-Magnet (for testing metals)

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484

Edited by - AGgressive Metal on 07/20/2010 02:17:57

stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

143 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  08:59:19  Show Profile Send stateofmind a Private Message
The pistol and knife is probably all you will need.

Check out our new site, RealCent.org!

"There are people who are very resourceful, at being remorseful, and who apparently feel that the best way to make friends is to do something terrible and then make amends."
-Ogden Nash
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  20:24:25  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by stateofmind

No personal offense (just general statement of fact), if you think you are just going to run around robbing your neighbors if the SHTF, you are going to get killed really fast by the sort of people on this forum who will enforce the rules of civilized behavior with or without help from the police. And I am not talking about vigilantism, I mean surrogate self-defense and community watches, which are lawful even during normal times.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  20:38:11  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:

Yeah, you probably don't want to take just a pistol and a knife to a local trade market. Probably will lead to trouble. You a robber, hehe?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

143 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  21:58:10  Show Profile Send stateofmind a Private Message
I forget how hard it can be to detect sarcasm across the internet...
I should have phrased the post better.

Check out our new site, RealCent.org!

"There are people who are very resourceful, at being remorseful, and who apparently feel that the best way to make friends is to do something terrible and then make amends."
-Ogden Nash
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  12:41:14  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
quote:

I forget how hard it can be to detect sarcasm across the internet...
I should have phrased the post better.

That's why you use the Smilies... this one is appropriate for sarcasm, or "just kidding"

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  13:10:03  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
you might want to bring a few more sheets of that green toilet paper to barter.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  15:40:03  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
Haha, yeah, this picture is intended to help normalize the idea of using an array of monetary tools rather than only FRNs. Anyone read about the alternative currencies in Michigan on Zero Hedge? :)

Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  17:58:48  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AGgressive Metal

Haha, yeah, this picture is intended to help normalize the idea of using an array of monetary tools rather than only FRNs. Anyone read about the alternative currencies in Michigan on Zero Hedge? :)

yeah, but the problem with those is greshams law and the legal tender law. even if you created a good alternate currency, gresham says folks will hoard that and spend the fiat likes its the old maid card. so alternative currency accomplishes nothing until you end the fed's monopoly via the legal tender law.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  20:27:15  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
It depends though - gresham's law only applies when two things that are different intrinsically are made by fiat to be traded as if they were not. Like when the government says 90% silver is legal tender at its face value, everyone hoards it. When you have things that are totally separate, like silver bullion and US dollars, they do not interact in this fashion because there is no legal tender value of the bullion. So if more people than ever are using silver and gold as a savings medium, they will eventually need to spend some of their savings, like people do with normal savings - better to barter with it at true market value than to take a haircut cashing in at the coin store for paper.

I mean, there are people on RC selling bullion all the time. They either need to use some of their savings or they are taking some capital gains. It would be even better for them if they could just trade with the bullion directly for the services they need, rather than sell bullion for paper online, then go use the paper. You are just cutting it down from two transactions to one.

Edited by - AGgressive Metal on 07/21/2010 20:29:08
Go to Top of Page

bman
Penny Collector Member

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  19:52:16  Show Profile Send bman a Private Message
no copper pennies?

check out my coins for sale on ecrater : http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  20:38:34  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bman

no copper pennies?

bman you win, i need to try again, haha

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2