Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 A question about 1968 Canadian Quarters/Dimes
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  21:34:46  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
According to coinflation some of the 1968 quarters/dimes are 80% silver while others are 50%. Coinflation also seems to imply that yet more of these coins are made of nickel and no silver:

"1968 - 1999 Quarter $0.25 $0.0935647"

You must be logged in to see this link.

I've heard that there is no way to tell the 50% coins apart from the 80%. However is there a way to tell 0% silver (nickel) coins a part from the other two; like perhaps by weight?

Edited by - theo on 07/20/2010 09:52:32

Nickelmeister
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
588 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  21:49:23  Show Profile Send Nickelmeister a Private Message
This topic comes up time to time. He are the facts:

All 1966 and earlier Canadian coins are 80% silver. Actually, pre-1920 are sterling, but that's another matter.
In 1967 they changed the composition of just the dime and quarter midway through the year from 80% to 50%. These are indistiguishable and dealers typically average out '67 quarters and dimes to "65%" silver by weight. In mid-1968 the composition was once again reduced from 50% to nothing. To differentiate these coins is extremely simple - just use a magnet. The pure nickel ones will stick and the 50% silver ones will not.

www.WinnipegGoldBuyer.com

Standing offer for sale of quality, second-hand solid gold jewellery:

<$100 USD worth - spot +25%, plus actual shipping
$101-500 worth - spot +20%, plus actual shipping
$501-1,000 worth - spot +15%, plus actual shipping
$1,001+ worth - spot +10%, plus actual shipping
Go to Top of Page

didou
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  21:58:58  Show Profile Send didou a Private Message
1968 Canadian Quarter/Dimes are either 50% silver or nickel. Use a magnet, silver won't stick, nickels does.

1967 Canadian Quarter/Dimes are either 50% or 80% silver. there is no way to know even by weight. maybe a acid test would do the trick but i don't think it's worth it. when i buy a very small amount i always pay as if they where 50%, for large amount you can pay like if they we're 65% silver (assuming that in a large bag you will get half of each)

Edited by - didou on 07/19/2010 22:00:39
Go to Top of Page

didou
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  22:12:35  Show Profile Send didou a Private Message
For dimes it's a very easy way to sort a large amount. Spread them on a table or something and use a magnet, the only one who don't stick are either silver or US dimes. Every Canadian dimes ever made are either silver or they stick to a magnet (nickels or steel).

After thinking about it that may work for quarters too but i never really test it. I have sort a lot of dimes that way, only found very few in silver.
Go to Top of Page

Kiwiman
Penny Pincher Member

225 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  22:40:01  Show Profile Send Kiwiman a Private Message
yep magnet
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  22:42:30  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by didou

For dimes it's a very easy way to sort a large amount. Spread them on a table or something and use a magnet, the only one who don't stick are either silver or US dimes. Every Canadian dimes ever made are either silver or they stick to a magnet (nickels or steel).

After thinking about it that may work for quarters too but i never really test it. I have sort a lot of dimes that way, only found very few in silver.

Great responses guys, thanks. FYI. The magnet test appears to work on nickel quarters as well.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  12:26:18  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Also I can now tell silver from nickel by sight pretty reliably, even edge checking in a roll. Just takes a little practice.

Circulated silver looks dull and/or tarnished. Nickel will have more shine.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2