Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 Protecting Windows with Wood or Metal
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  15:52:09  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
just thinking about SHTF, it would be nice to have protection on my ground floor windows. was thinking about buying pressure-treated plywood now and cutting them to size and storing them so i have this set if I ever have the need. wouldn't be that much money or work and would provide a great deal of security and sanity if I ever needed them.

but it got me thinking about alternatives to plywood. maybe corrugated tin or aluminum? fiberglass sheeting? anyone ever done this? anyone have a source? something like aluminum or tin would be a lot lighter and easier to store.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

toomuchcopper
Penny Collector Member

USA
406 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  16:55:15  Show Profile Send toomuchcopper a Private Message
My company has been hired to board up quite a few homes over the years. Generally its the bank or Insurance company after a foreclosure or Fire or some other major devastation. We almost always used plywood cut to size. Never used PT but I guess if you were storing them where they might get wet that would be a good idea.
As far as metal goes, as long as the window was under 38" wide you could cut channel drain roofing to size. I think that may be an excellent idea.
Shutters are also an option depending on the house style....that is what they originally were designed for was to close the windows up. Most shutters now a days are fake and screwed to the siding but you could certainly make shutters that were hinged to close over the windows in case you needed them too.

visit www.crazycoinguy.com
for information on how to sort, what to sort, and sorting equipment. We also sell copper pennies in bulk, and other coins.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  17:03:21  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
well in a katrina type situation it might be a month or longer before things are back to normal so pressure treated would be worth the investment.

what is channel drain roofing?

i got the idea for metal because i grew up in hurricane country and i remember a few stores had very thin corrugated metal sheets that they would install to protect their plate glass. they had obviously thought it through in advance instead of scrambling to buy the last sheet of plywood at home depot and then working your but off to cut and install it when you'd rather be making other preparations or evacuating.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

toomuchcopper
Penny Collector Member

USA
406 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  18:55:53  Show Profile Send toomuchcopper a Private Message
channel drain roofing is what you see on a lot of houses in the northeast part of the country....it is also called corrogated (spelling) roofing. you can buy it at home depot or any lumber yard. Channel drain was what is on old barns and houses that you see in any picture before 1980, if it doesnt have a shingled roof that it has channel drain....in recent years standing seam has taken its place but you can still buy it.
Out west, in colorado for example they use it as siding...

for information on how to sort, what to sort, and sorting equipment. We also sell copper pennies in bulk, and other coins.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  19:12:14  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I have inch and a half Insulfoam cut to size and permanently installed over all my windows. It cuts down on the utility bills and keeps it dark inside (since I have to go to sleep when it's still light outside) and... I suppose it acts as a theft deterrent. At least FEDEX thinks it's abandoned and will never leave packages. Thieves can't see in, and no one can tell if anyone is home. I think if TSHTF, that if someone wants to, they can break into anything, but they'd be less likely to go to the trouble if right next door were "unprotected" premises. Plywood is probably a good idea.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Oldpagan
Penny Sorter Member

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  19:59:09  Show Profile Send Oldpagan a Private Message
Part of my TSHTF plans involves plywood panels covering the windows from the inside. I have the panels cut and painted white, so when installed you can’t tell from the outside of the house that they are there. Granted the windows are not protected, but my concern was not so much the glass but keeping the glass out and more importantly keeping the light inside.
During the ice storms of 2007, I was without power for 2 weeks. The evening that the power went out I fired up a couple of kerosene lanterns and then stepped outside to look around. As is normal when the power goes out, the folks that live on my street exited their homes as well to look around.
I was surprised to see the amount of light glowing from my windows and the guy that lives across the street ask why my power was not off when everything else was in the dark for miles in the city. He thought that I had power due to the amount of light coming from my home.
During TSHTF any home that’s lit up like a beacon will be just that, a beacon to everyone crawling around in the dark, and that’s attention you don’t want. Think about boarding up the inside as well as the outside.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  06:08:33  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Oldpagan

Part of my TSHTF plans involves plywood panels covering the windows from the inside. I have the panels cut and painted white, so when installed you can’t tell from the outside of the house that they are there. Granted the windows are not protected, but my concern was not so much the glass but keeping the glass out and more importantly keeping the light inside.
During the ice storms of 2007, I was without power for 2 weeks. The evening that the power went out I fired up a couple of kerosene lanterns and then stepped outside to look around. As is normal when the power goes out, the folks that live on my street exited their homes as well to look around.
I was surprised to see the amount of light glowing from my windows and the guy that lives across the street ask why my power was not off when everything else was in the dark for miles in the city. He thought that I had power due to the amount of light coming from my home.
During TSHTF any home that’s lit up like a beacon will be just that, a beacon to everyone crawling around in the dark, and that’s attention you don’t want. Think about boarding up the inside as well as the outside.

wow, those are some great insights.

the only disadvantage i see is securely installing the boards on the inside without leaving unsightly marks or what have you. any suggestions.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  06:14:58  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcopper

channel drain roofing is what you see on a lot of houses in the northeast part of the country....it is also called corrogated (spelling) roofing. you can buy it at home depot or any lumber yard. Channel drain was what is on old barns and houses that you see in any picture before 1980, if it doesnt have a shingled roof that it has channel drain....in recent years standing seam has taken its place but you can still buy it.
Out west, in colorado for example they use it as siding...

is this what you are talking about:

I have always called that corruguated metal. i think long ago they were made from tin but probably steel.

you don't see that at home depots where i live but i'm sure it could be sourced somewhere.

any tips on securiting it to the house without doing permanent damage to the house?

also, if the windows are wider than 38", couldn't you just overlap 2 pieces?

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  15:22:10  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
We went with vented glass block in our basement windows last summer. They are great providing security, privacy, insulation and let in more natural sunlight.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  15:30:29  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Consider too strong window shutters that actually shut and lock from the inside. They could be used for security and in case of storms.

All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

toomuchcopper
Penny Collector Member

USA
406 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  15:40:36  Show Profile Send toomuchcopper a Private Message
yes thats it, and yes corogated is another name. If you were to overlap to peices you could do wider than 38" but you may need a 2x4 or something to support the seam for added strength. As far as hitching it to the building goes I guess would depend on the situation. I would reccomend screws but if it was for security reasons from criminals then it could be removed as easily as it was put on.

Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  16:18:32  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcopper

yes thats it, and yes corogated is another name. If you were to overlap to peices you could do wider than 38" but you may need a 2x4 or something to support the seam for added strength. As far as hitching it to the building goes I guess would depend on the situation. I would reccomend screws but if it was for security reasons from criminals then it could be removed as easily as it was put on.

thanks. how did you guys put them on - nails? did you nail directly into the window frame or attach any kind of subwood to protect the window frame?

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

toomuchcopper
Penny Collector Member

USA
406 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  16:41:38  Show Profile Send toomuchcopper a Private Message
Never nailed. always screwed. usually we would use a "star screw" so that the end needed a star bit which can still be bought at most any hardware store but certainly isn't as easy to obtain as a phillips or even a square drive.
Depending on the house, we would screw into whatever was easiest and left the least damage. sometimes the trim if it was a 1x4 or 1x6 flat trim, sometimes the cladboards or vertical siding...Vinyl siding is a tough one as it leaves a permanent hole, it can be caulked in but still shows the mark.

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  18:07:45  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
You have to consider that you may not have time to screw anything to your windows if things get bad. Not unless you want to board up your house now and be in the dark.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  05:23:21  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

Consider too strong window shutters that actually shut and lock from the inside. They could be used for security and in case of storms.

that is definitely the first class way to go, but those cost at least several hundred a window. if i was still in hurricane country i could probably justify the expense since its dual purpose.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

City38
Penny Sorter Member

62 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  06:05:35  Show Profile Send City38 a Private Message
lemon, ive thought about this too. my first idea was precut plywood and i also priced some functional shutters (wow!). i suppose plywood would be the best for the money. what if when you make the panels you also cut and glue some styrofoam insulation to the plywood (the blue kind used on homes) and then drilled some holes so lag bolts could be passed through and attached to a cross bar on the inside. so if you had double hung windows, you could open both sashes, leaving a little space on the top and bottom,pass the bolts through the plywood and through the drilled 2x4s extended horizontaly, and then tighten down the bolts on the inside. if mr. badguy scopes it out there will only be lag bolt heads (no slots for tools) and the window is still air tight due to the syrofoam. what do yall think? would that hold up to rain and thugs?
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  09:50:18  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by City38

lemon, ive thought about this too. my first idea was precut plywood and i also priced some functional shutters (wow!). i suppose plywood would be the best for the money. what if when you make the panels you also cut and glue some styrofoam insulation to the plywood (the blue kind used on homes) and then drilled some holes so lag bolts could be passed through and attached to a cross bar on the inside. so if you had double hung windows, you could open both sashes, leaving a little space on the top and bottom,pass the bolts through the plywood and through the drilled 2x4s extended horizontaly, and then tighten down the bolts on the inside. if mr. badguy scopes it out there will only be lag bolt heads (no slots for tools) and the window is still air tight due to the syrofoam. what do yall think? would that hold up to rain and thugs?

so you are passing the bolt all the way trhought the wall and fasteining with a nut on the inside?

Well, that would certainly be secure but you would have a permanent hole in your wall.

what i had seen a business do was affix a small metal rail to the top and bottom of the exterior of the window opening, and then they slide the metal sheets into those rails and attach the sheet to the rails. so only the rail is attached to the building, and presumable fewer holes are needed for that. and being top and bottom they are somewhat less visible than direct on.

as far as holding up, i just think something is better than nothing. in a SHTF scenario, you might have broken windows and those just let in insects, animals, weather, etc. and windows that aren't broken invite rioters to throw rocks, loot, etc. a little less concerned about a thief with a screwdriver than i am a guy with a brick and the damage to the window at non-SHTF times.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Oldpagan
Penny Sorter Member

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  14:30:07  Show Profile Send Oldpagan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

quote:
Originally posted by Oldpagan

wow, those are some great insights.

the only disadvantage i see is securely installing the boards on the inside without leaving unsightly marks or what have you. any suggestions.

We added some trim around the windows that act as a base for the panels. The house was built in 1926 and the windows all have wood frames and such.
Go to Top of Page

Oldpagan
Penny Sorter Member

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  14:31:00  Show Profile Send Oldpagan a Private Message
quote:

Best Idea yet!
Go to Top of Page

City38
Penny Sorter Member

62 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  17:57:28  Show Profile Send City38 a Private Message
no the bolt passes through the plywood and insulation, through the open window, and through the 2x4. the 2x4 is on the inside, and is longer than the window is wide. a washer and nut are tightened down and that holds the plywood/insulation tight to the exterior window frame, and holds the 2x4s in place without any damage to the wall or molding on the inside. clear as mud, right? hahaha! maybe ill make one up and post a pic.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  21:40:39  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:

quote:

that is definitely the first class way to go, but those cost at least several hundred a window. if i was still in hurricane country i could probably justify the expense since its dual purpose.

Then perhaps something more like this.

If you are going to put money into it then it might as well be practical over the long run.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  03:28:44  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
OH, oh, oh!!!!
Since you capitalized 'Windows' (and it is late),
when I saw your topic title I immediately thought
protecting Microsoft WINDOWS from viruses or ..... what? Wood or metal? Protecting your PC??

OH, protecting the windows to your home.

Anyway, I got a laugh out of it.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  06:16:42  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Then perhaps something more like this.

If you are going to put money into it then it might as well be practical over the long run.

yeah, actual functioning shutters like that would be effective. those are attractive but wouldn't really look right on my existing house. if i ever build a new house, it will have some sort of functioning shutter system, either hurricane style shutters, functioning decorative shutters like these, or something hidden inside.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  07:13:42  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Then pehaps something like this?

You must be logged in to see this link.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  07:25:56  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:

Then pehaps something like this?

thank, but i'm thinking more all purpose. something that would protect from both elements and burglary if the grid was down. something like these:
You must be logged in to see this link." target="_blank"> br / You must be logged in to see this link.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  08:02:34  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
thanks for all the advice and encouragement on this thread.

think i found what i am looking for, but it costs a lot more than i expected. this guy spent $1700 for a good system and installed it himself. he has a link to a lot of good photos on flickr showing his install. he basically got some milled corrugated metal panels and purpose-made tracks and mounting hardware to hold them. definitely worth it in hurricane country.

Buying:
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05