Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 firearms or PM
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  06:05:10  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
do you mean ratio of what to deploy your resources on or ratio of change?

when you are just getting started, you'll have to deploy your resources to security and food and similar items before pms

if you have the basics covered, then you can deploy more towards pms.

this is true also if you are trying to protect investments and savings.

realize that there are people at all different stages on this board, and what is the right answer for them may not be right for you.

if paper currencies collapse, i expect that the best currency will be gold. i think it will increase the most because its what the central banks demand. silver will do well as well. guns will be liquid and barterable but won't increase at the same rate except perhaps very temporarily. guns are unlimited in supply in most situations. for example, guns were manufactured before, during and after the great depression. there will not be shortages of steel.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  19:31:32  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I just bought a 12-gauge shotgun from Kurr yesterday and I like his philosophy. In a nutshell, as I understand it: If you have one of each kind of gun (handgun, shotgun and rifle), those will either do the trick and you'll end up with your attackers' weapons, or you'll be dead. Seems like a pretty clear-cut set of options.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  19:46:23  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Glad you picked up a shotgun. What did you get?

I can see needing more than three firearms. You should have a backup revolver to a semi auto handgun. I guess one shotgun would be fine, but a short barrel for the home/cave whatever, and perhaps a longer barrel for hunting if necessary. Minimum two rifles. Larger caliber for hunting at a distance, bolt action for reliability, plus can keep bad guys away at a distance. And an assault rifle for those situations where large amounts of rapid fire is necessary. These are minimums if you ask me. I realze nobody did, hehe.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  20:01:46  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I think it's an HK, Deal. I'll take a photo just for you later tonight.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

143 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  20:21:09  Show Profile Send stateofmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

Glad you picked up a shotgun. What did you get?

I can see needing more than three firearms. You should have a backup revolver to a semi auto handgun. I guess one shotgun would be fine, but a short barrel for the home/cave whatever, and perhaps a longer barrel for hunting if necessary. Minimum two rifles. Larger caliber for hunting at a distance, bolt action for reliability, plus can keep bad guys away at a distance. And an assault rifle for those situations where large amounts of rapid fire is necessary. These are minimums if you ask me. I realze nobody did, hehe.

Deal

Agreed. Just 3 weapons is err...underkill.
I'm aiming for 3 rifles: A bolt action mauser, marlin 60, and an ak-74.
5000 rounds of .22, and 1000 rounds of both 8mm and 5.45x39.
3 or so pistols: .22 trainer, 9mm, and either a .38 revolver or a pocket pistol.
Again, 5000 rounds of .22, 1000 of 9mm, and 500 rounds of either .38 or .380.
2 shotguns: mossberg 500, and a semi auto beretta.
1000 rounds of 20 gauge.
After that, I will begin hoarding PM's and buying more stocks.
Hey, it's working for me, and fun, too!

Check out our new site, RealCent.org!

"There are people who are very resourceful, at being remorseful, and who apparently feel that the best way to make friends is to do something terrible and then make amends."
-Ogden Nash
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  20:22:48  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Fabarm H&K? What type? I need details, I can't wait, hehe.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Oldpagan
Penny Sorter Member

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  20:24:40  Show Profile Send Oldpagan a Private Message
A simple, small collection of firearms will do everything you need just as it has been doing for the past 100+ years.

First a shotgun (I recommend a Remington 870 pump 12 gauge), a shotgun is a multi use firearm based on the type of load you stuff in it. Get one and lay in some slugs, 00 buck, # 6 shot and # 8 shot.

Next a handgun. If you’re a gun person I recommend a 9mm or larger caliber. If your not a gun person I recommend a revolver in 357 (you can load the 357 with 38 special for lighter loads). Regardless of the flavor or caliber of handgun you get, lay in about a thousand rounds for it and don’t touch them. Now buy some more ammo and practice with it till you sure you can hit what your shooting at. When TSHTF keep it with you always. More people have been caught by someone they didn’t want catching them when they had their gun leaned up or laying down across the room from them. A handgun you can keep on your person all the time and not get caught with your shorts down.

Now add a centerfire rifle of 30 caliber or better (30-06, 308, 30-30 and so on) This servers as to put meat on the table and a long range problem solver all in one. I would lay in about a thousand rounds for it as well.

Next add a 22-caliber rifle for putting meat in the pot. (Ruger 10-22), and lay in ten thousand rounds (they’ll fit in a 50 caliber army ammo can).

If you want add a 22-caliber pistol to the mix as well, but don’t depend on it as you only pistol.

That’s it, that’s all you need.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  20:32:09  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless

I think it's an HK, Deal. I'll take a photo just for you later tonight.

Good thing I wasn't holding my breath, hehe....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  20:46:21  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
It's an H&R model 400 12ga pump.

I have a browning semi auto 12 w/ polychoke, mosin nagant carbine, 10/22, JC Higgins bolt .22 long gun, and a 1911 as my "basic" kit.

I would like a Saiga 12 for me, and .410 for the wife, and a garrand with some conversion kits(.22 mainly) for the 1911. Also I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a .357 revolver, AR/AK. I would also like a remington model 700 with a nice leopold mil-dot for precision work.

And yes, my philosophy is that at the end of a gunfight with me, I'll have yours or you'll have mine.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  21:09:52  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Kurr, those Saiga 12's are awesome! What's better than a 12+ shot shotgun built on an AK frame? They have what, 5, 10, and 12 round magazines. Drums are also available.... My buddy sells those guns like wildfire. Very popular.

I think the model 700's are rated as the most accurate gun out of the box. I keep thinking of getting the used one my buddy has in his shop. I think it is a heavy barrel BDL, and it has a Hogue stock. It holds onto you. It might have some more bells and whistles, I can't remember. It has a cheap scope on it that would need replaced. I can't remember what he has on it. It gets a lot of lookers and it wont last long. He says it is the best deal in the shop....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  21:28:57  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Those saiga's if you look at the stamp say Russian Americvan Armory, Scottsburg, Indiana. Bout 16 miles from me and I have NO CLUE where in that small town they are!

lol Thanks Google!
quote:
Russian American Armory Company 677 S Cardinal Lane • Scottsburg, IN 47170. Toll Free 877-752-2894 • Phone 812-752-2894. Fax 812-752-7683 ...

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

dexum

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  23:03:12  Show Profile Send dexum a Private Message
Great thread,

After reading everyone's thoughts on the subject, I found it interesting that no-one mentioned other family members. As for me, I want enough weapons to outfit all 5 of us in this household with a few spares.

It seems to boil down to individual choice and what you are comfortable with. I live in rural South Carolina where we frequently use anything from .22s to magnum calibers in rifle and handgun for hunting or pest control. Occasionally, we take aim on two-legged polecats which seems to have enjoyed a prosperous increase in the herd population.

I like guns and want as many as I can afford but even a gun nut like me can see the saner approach and how one should practice a balance of possessions. Of course , if you have a sweet deal on a nine, well then............

We're talking about guns here I know but knives may become essential and if you are concerned about value, have you seen how much a good USA made knife has increased in value lately?

You want items to barter and use, then also think on purchasing garden and carpentry tools, hand powered of course.

Stuff to think about.

Have a great weekend.

CoinMedic
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2010 :  23:05:36  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I have plenty of guns, and never enough ammo and gold! Either way, all are almost guaranteed to increase in price. Additionally, the guns are also great for protecting the gold...hehe.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  10:30:18  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dexum

Great thread,

After reading everyone's thoughts on the subject, I found it interesting that no-one mentioned other family members. As for me, I want enough weapons to outfit all 5 of us in this household with a few spares.

It seems to boil down to individual choice and what you are comfortable with. I live in rural South Carolina where we frequently use anything from .22s to magnum calibers in rifle and handgun for hunting or pest control. Occasionally, we take aim on two-legged polecats which seems to have enjoyed a prosperous increase in the herd population.

I like guns and want as many as I can afford but even a gun nut like me can see the saner approach and how one should practice a balance of possessions. Of course , if you have a sweet deal on a nine, well then............

We're talking about guns here I know but knives may become essential and if you are concerned about value, have you seen how much a good USA made knife has increased in value lately?

You want items to barter and use, then also think on purchasing garden and carpentry tools, hand powered of course.

Stuff to think about.

Have a great weekend.

You are correct. Going it alone would be a tough one. Everyone in your family or crew or whatever must be armed, or at least have access to weapons.

Plus, what if one weapon breaks? No backup? Come on guys, the more the marrier, hehe.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

spartan_b88
Penny Sorter Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  22:14:58  Show Profile Send spartan_b88 a Private Message
Sorry to post so late, But I came back to look at this and here is a link I found that mentions the serialized ammunition stuff.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  08:44:11  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by spartan_b88

Sorry to post so late, But I came back to look at this and here is a link I found that mentions the serialized ammunition stuff.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Right, but the point of the article is that as of right now, legislation and subsequent technology to imprint and track ammunition is DOA.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

City38
Penny Sorter Member

62 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  13:37:51  Show Profile Send City38 a Private Message
people that talk preps suggest stocking food in stages, you know 1 mo. then 3 months etc. what about PMs? ammo? would having enough PMs to pay the bills for a month be the first goal? I like dexum's idea about guns for other family members. my plan is to put the 12 ga in the wifes hands loaded with 00 buck. when little man gets old enough he can have the 10-22.
Go to Top of Page

BadKarma
Penny Sorter Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  13:48:35  Show Profile Send BadKarma a Private Message
Just remember that a 12 ga with 00 buck is almost as deadly on one end as it is on the other!

If you bowhunt Cape Buffalo, you just might wet your pants!
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  17:24:19  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BadKarma

Just remember that a 12 ga with 00 buck is almost as deadly on one end as it is on the other!

Not quite. Forget the 00 buck anyway. Here is what I have in my 500 next to the bed.

No racking of the weapon at my house. Already chambered. If they hear anything that means I missed, and that is highly unlikely....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

BadKarma
Penny Sorter Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  08:29:47  Show Profile Send BadKarma a Private Message
I was just advising that normal 00 off the wally world shelf can be a bit "harsh" for the average person.

Personally, I don't own a scattergun, don't have a need for one. My Dan Wesson'll do just fine, but they'll never get that far. ;)

Go to Top of Page

City38
Penny Sorter Member

62 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  11:39:41  Show Profile Send City38 a Private Message
cool rounds deal!
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  20:39:41  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
BadKarma, everyone needs a shotgun. Vital piece of the puzzle. If you shoot to protect yourself, you won't even remember the recoil. .22 or 12 gauge no matter.

Dan Wesson firearms are very nice and well made. I'm not sure if you saw my 4th of July pictures but there is a picture of a nice one there.

City38, yeah they are, hehe.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

BadKarma
Penny Sorter Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  05:59:13  Show Profile Send BadKarma a Private Message
I've thought about it for quite sometime and I really can't see the need for one. I'm an old country boy, born and raised on a farm here in the Ozarks, but I did a hitch in the military and earned the right to sew a "Sniper" patch on my shoulder. I live way back in the boonies about 3/4 of a mile of the road behind 2 gates. I have a .270 for long range and 3 30-30's and a 35 Rem Marlins for all other Centerfire duties. I also have the DW and 3 .22 handguns, one of which is a TC Contender (w/ 5 barrels) that will put plenty of meat in the pot. By the time anyone is close enough for a scattergun, it'll be pretty much over anyway.

Besides ammo is a finite resource, sooner or later it'll run out, that's why I make my own longbows and arrows, plus I am almost a passable flint knapper now.

Go to Top of Page

BadKarma
Penny Sorter Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  06:05:55  Show Profile Send BadKarma a Private Message
Just to clarify. We seem to have 2 different views of what we are doing. Neither of which are right or wrong, just that we see things a bit different. I'm just happy there are some smart people who believe that they need to be prepared and not those "sheeple" who drink whatever koolaid the "gumment" pundits put in front of them and expect to be taken care of. I was raised to be independent and self-reliant not a complacent irresponsible sponge.

Wow, I haven't done this much explaining in years. It feels good to be able to talk about this and not have to worry about getting flamed or censured. Thanks y'all.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  06:07:07  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
So you do live in Missouri as well?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2