Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions
 Penny Problem Puts Man In Trouble With N.J. Town
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  16:17:57  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
Penny Problem Puts Man In Trouble With N.J. Town - December 2008

A Nutley, N.J. man is putting in his two cents about what he calls a lot of non-cents over a traffic ticket.

He has been trying to pay his fine in pennies, but the town is demanding he change his way of paying.

"It's very easy to count. It goes in 10s. I mean, there's five rows of 10s," Frank Gilberti said.

Gilberti showed 112 rolls of pennies to CBS station WCBS-TV in New York City. He said he thought he could use the coins to pay a traffic fine at the Bloomfield Municipal Court.

"I went to the bank and got $56 worth of rolled pennies and went down to the court house and they refused to take it. They had told me to bring cash. I was under the assumption this was cash."

Non-cents? Not really. Pennies are legal tender. In fact, at the courthouse there is a sign saying cash is accepted.

That's why the Nutley resident said he fought back, calling the court and convincing workers there to take his pennies.

But the 22-year-old said there was a condition -- that he write his driver's license number on each roll.

"I simply asked them if I would have to do just this if I were handing in $56 bill. Would I have to write my driver's license number on each bill? They had no response," Gilberti said.

And even more shocking he said: "Then I found out there was a warrant out for my arrest."

The funeral home employee paid a $90 bail fee in order to stay out of jail. WCBS went by to get a comment from the court, but as soon as reporters got there, they were told: "Turn the camera off."

"It's injustice. This is U.S. currency accepted all over the country [but] apparently not in Bloomfield, N.J.," Gilberti said.

Gilberti's got a court date Tuesday morning and he plans on taking all of these pennies with him, all 112 rolls.

WCBS also contacted the court system in Trenton, but no one there would comment.

Source: You must be logged in to see this link.

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  07:22:26  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I would think that the microscopic RFID tracking device chips embedded in each cent by the Gestapo the Mint would obviate the need for writing your identity on the rolls

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2