Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions
 What Is Your Bucket List?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  10:46:05  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
I realize many on here feel like they are too young to be thinking about the last things you want to do before you die.

However, as I look in the newspaper I am reminded how many people seems to die so soon and so young.

Young is a relative term, it all depends on how old you are what you think young actually might be. Also, what is middle aged? If you say 50 I'd ask how many 100 year old people do you see walking around. I guess if you pull out the actuarial life table and start taking a peek you might quickly start asking yourself... ok if it says I got 35 years left to in my life am I really doing what I want to do or just bumping along.

I have yet to meet anyone that has ever told me he wished he spent more time at work. Also, I can't tell you the number of people I have known that worked to retire then died only a few years after retirement. Also with the economy there will be fewer that ever get the chance to retire. Sad but true.

Regardless, do you have a bucket list....or are you ready to go?

rosco
Penny Collector Member

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  11:34:21  Show Profile Send rosco a Private Message
We are living it now retired in 1999 age 62 an have enjoyed travel an cruises. About 6 years in smaller RV a 32 ft gas motor-home. Past ten years one big shot 3 months + to sun not very warm or Sunny this year but over all better than the weather in the Willamette valley In Jan Feb & March. Several short trips with friends or to see Grand children.
We chase Rocks an I ride a Quad in desert an up hills.
Thats why stacking is not real impotent to US. We have some an the hope is [No big problems] we have stuff to leave to charity and our Sons. Remember its not all about ME but a more inclusive "Us". I get mad at the people on the corner with a sign feed me or give me gas money! I do NOT! but give to Organizations that offer long term help. My younger Sister died less than Two years into retirement.

Old Geezer a HAND Sorter

Edited by - rosco on 05/04/2010 11:37:46
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  16:18:02  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I retired from the Fire dept after 34 and a half years, but still work as an RN. From my experience, the guys who had nothing to stay active and involved with after their careers - aside from fishing or playing golf, which you can only do so much of - seemed to die within a year or so. I've led a busy life and am fairly satisfied with where I am... you could say content. I could die tomorrow and not care.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

battlecat
Penny Pincher Member

152 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  17:13:31  Show Profile Send battlecat a Private Message
Eat every Primanti's Sandwich made.....even imported sardine
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  19:30:33  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
IMO, one's work should be one's calling. Sure we all have our bad days and dream of lazy days on far off tropical islands. But if we can find meaning in our work then that can be one of life's great satisfactions. The older I get the less I want things of the world or even travel. The love of family and good friends mean so much more. There can be great comfort in living the simple life. Time is more precious than metals.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2