Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Box of Half Dollars-Very Interesting
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  06:58:17  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
I decided to get a $500 box of half dollars from Brinks this week, and search for 40% (1965-1970) and 90% (1964 and earlier) half dollars. What I found was very interesting. The entire box had no coins older than 1971. About 15% of the coins had marks on the Kennnedy's face with what appeared to be permanent markers. Most of them had a black line and others had a red X. Obviously there are others who have searched these rolls in the past.

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  07:19:04  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
I sorted 2k worth in Indy and didn't find any silver. Of course, the boxes I searched were not Brinks. I was wondering if Brinks boxes would be any better. I guess not.

Also, the owner of company that was sorting pennies prior to the melt ban said that they had been mining silver out of circulation too and that they had stopped because they had gotten most of it. The full text of the article where he says that is on another thread somewhere.

So I think the conclusion is that some areas of the country have been thoroughly "mined" for silver. Of course, you can always hope somebody dumps some more in. So, if I was going to do halves again, I would definitely be trying to make an agreement with the credit unions to get the bags from their coin counters...
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  07:35:56  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
I agree. I just wonder who was putting the marks on the coins. My sourcing credit union doesn't have a coin counter, but they call me any time they get customer wrapped rolls (CRW) that are turned in.

Do the Forum coin sorters take halves?
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  08:13:41  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tourney64

I agree. I just wonder who was putting the marks on the coins. My sourcing credit union doesn't have a coin counter, but they call me any time they get customer wrapped rolls (CRW) that are turned in.

The Forum coin sorters do take halves. That is where I returned mine, but they seem to have trouble counting them sometimes. I got shorted like $7 worth when I returned 1k worth. I had a long conversation with the manager, but there didn't seem to be a way to verify the problem. They were not willing to hand count every coin in the machine. So I left vowing never to put halves in that blasted machine again.

The next day they called and said that they opened up the machine and had found $7 worth of halves in the "junk" collection area where non-coins are supposed to end up at. They credited my account and all was made well, but it makes you wonder just how many coins end up in the "junk" collection area by mistake.

Also I think I asked one of the Forums once about buying their bags and they said that they couldn't do it. Though, I don't really trust that answer as it could have just been made off the cuff. I'd give it a try again, but my focus is on pennies right now...
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  08:33:36  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I think as the economy continues to get worse the older coins will come out of hiding as people get more desperate.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  09:15:21  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
I agree completely with that statement Cody.
Go to Top of Page

Frugi
Administrator

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  09:33:35  Show Profile Send Frugi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cody8404

I think as the economy continues to get worse the older coins will come out of hiding as people get more desperate.

I read this as:

I think as the ceremony continues to get worse the older coins will come out of hiding as people get more desperate.

I did a double take and realized my mistake, but not before thinking it was an accurate replacement. Our economy is kind of like a really long funeral that everyone is just waiting for the end of.

I am waiting on a $500 bag of halves from my bank here in STL, it is currently in the brinks machine, almost full. They allowed me to look at it. It has almost full and mostly pre 1970 from what I could tell. And some unusual silver foreign also. They have my ph.# and hopefully call me and sell me the bag still having all that silver. I trust them only because I don't think they would have enough CuNi halves on hand to replace all the silver ones in the bag.
Go to Top of Page

Frugi
Administrator

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  09:37:01  Show Profile Send Frugi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by horgad

quote:
Originally posted by Tourney64

The Forum coin sorters do take halves. That is where I returned mine, but they seem to have trouble counting them sometimes. I got shorted like $7 worth when I returned 1k worth. I had a long conversation with the manager, but there didn't seem to be a way to verify the problem. They were not willing to hand count every coin in the machine. So I left vowing never to put halves in that blasted machine again.

The next day they called and said that they opened up the machine and had found $7 worth of halves in the "junk" collection area where non-coins are supposed to end up at. They credited my account and all was made well, but it makes you wonder just how many coins end up in the "junk" collection area by mistake.

Also I think I asked one of the Forums once about buying their bags and they said that they couldn't do it. Though, I don't really trust that answer as it could have just been made off the cuff. I'd give it a try again, but my focus is on pennies right now...

I can tell what does NOT go in to the junk drawer is 2 DOLLAR COINS from HONG KONG. They get counted as $0.50
Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  11:04:53  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
I have 4 credit unions where I get pennies and the halves off the lobby machine. It takes about 4-6 months to fill a $1000 bag of halves. So far I've only done 2 bags....about 3% overall silver (95% of which was 40% silver variant). I wanted the sencone bag so badly, that I put in $200 of my sorted halves at a 5% fee (total cost $10) just to fill the bag and be able to leave with it without waition another month.....

Also, here is a hot tip: find the local bank that deals with the local school system - mostly they will get the lunch monies.....we have a 4000 student high school in town and the last time the bank collected about $150 in halves in 3 months.....IT WAS 7% Silver....again over 90% of the 7% was 40% silver content variant. Those kids drag in a bunch of old silver....

I'm in S.E. Mich and there is a guy in Detroit that has heavily mined the halves ...but claims to have collected over $70,000 in silver in one year.....but works it like a full-time job....
Go to Top of Page

Cody8404
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  13:23:25  Show Profile Send Cody8404 a Private Message
I live in a small town, one bank, and a small credit union. I take most of my spending cash out in Halves.

I work a distance away in a large city. I spend the coins there. Most of the clerks know me and wince, but they know it is money, and take it. It is really funny to watch the new kids ask when I give them the coins. Occasionally someone will go ask if it real money or even ask if it is counterfeit.

So far it has worked well, but I have only found two 40% silvers this way.

Awake, O kings of the earth! Come ye, O, come ye, with your gold and your silver, to the help of my people, to the house of the daughters of Zion, to the help of the people of the God of this Land even Jesus Christ.
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  18:34:54  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
A few years ago, I used to find silver halves far more frequently than I do now. I've since stopped ordering boxes. When I'm at the bank, I'll ask if they have halves, but I don't get my hopes up. Lately, I've hit a real dry spell.

But on a different note, anyone know where I can get Hong Kong 2 Dollar coins in bulk? Two HKD is about $0.25! Hmmm.....

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  11:31:50  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
I've found that smaller banks in small towns tend to have more silver halves. When I travel I like to go through the smaller banks and pick up their halves. For the most part they are happy to get them out of their vaults, and I never take them back to the same bank. If I pick up rolls in a larger city like Milwaukee, I almost never get silver. My guess is that the heavy duty silver miners have hit the large population centers and dried up the silver in those markets. This leaves a smaller amount of silver overall, but it is still nice to pick up the little that's left out in the "boondocks".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2