Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 What Did I Find?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  18:16:39  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
I was sorting penny rolls today and on the end of a roll was this guy...

So what did I find? 115 years old, whatever it is!

Here are a few of todays reject finds with the exception of the SA large cent which was found in a half dollar roll a while ago.

0CD

JJM
Penny Sorter Member

71 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  18:26:13  Show Profile Send JJM a Private Message
It's an Austrian 2 "heller".
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  18:26:15  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
I believe you have an Austrian 2 Heller.

Go to Top of Page

scrapman1077
Penny Sorter Member

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  18:31:13  Show Profile Send scrapman1077 a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  18:37:58  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
Thanks guys.

0CD
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  19:13:10  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
pretty cool looking coin You found all those different coins in one day??

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  21:02:27  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
I stopped at two branches, close to my home and a half mile apart to dump $300 in nickels today.

I picked up three Twonies, two Canadian halves which must be as common as finding our halves in change, I don't see many, and 10 Canadian quarters plus Canadian dimes nickels and pennies. Then I have about 5 Pesos Mex, and the usual smattering of the globe. I get a lot of Europe and the Caribbean and then a few from Africa, Australia and Asia almost daily. Maybe 30 coins today. I could have an impressive daily coin blog. (don't have time)I just sort them in Mason Jars now and my two dozen jars representing the world are filling up.
I also have filled a large shoebox and a half with tubes of sorted Canadian coins which have just reached parity with the US$
I get mostly quarters and have at least 40 tubes of them.
I have almost filled a quart jar with Euros and the same for England, favorite coin is the beefy pound, the "chunky" of coins.
I have more than a pint for Mexico.
A fair amount are older coins.
I think I am getting some of them from the change jars our parents era kept and the kids are dumping them in the coin counters.
I started with a coffee can, half full, Thanksgiving of 2008 and realized how to get them from our local type of coin counter "Penny Arcade" I have made extraction part of the dump procedure. I currently dump about 8-9K a week so I see a few of these machines almost daily. I time the extractions, when possible, for when they should be full and just before the bank performs a routine counter cleaning and maintenance. The bank staff will clear the magnets and reject pipe when they service and also check machine accuracy.
So someday, I will get to the non-US collection, and maybe not! But one of the kids will have something to do.
I don't sell stuff, can't help it. A hoarder at heart.
I will share when time permits.

0CD
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  22:55:18  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
How exactly do you get them from the "reject" bin? Are you just talking about the tray at the bottom where it spits out the messed up and foreign coins?

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  05:15:18  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
Yes JWRAY. Although I get most of the reject coins from the pipe that leads to the reject "tray".

The Penny Arcade machines use plumbing PVC pipe as a chute to the tray. Each machine has a slightly different arrangement of PVC pieces which are not glued together. It's a hillbilly arrangment. Sometimes the pieces are missing completely and just dump on the floor before they could ever reach the tray. Sometimes the pipe pieces go uphill to the tray and trap coins (I get handfuls from this situation) I bring a 12" piece of hanger wire, hook bent at the end to pull coins or free a jam, or sweep them from under the door to the innards. When the machine is open from changing bags, I get to eyeball the entire arrangement and also gather coins (from others) that are on the floor of the bag area, on the floor, and around the front of the machine inside the large service door. These are all coins that "may" have been mine and the staff never say anything when I collect them. As long as it is possible that they could be mine, I get them.

I do actually find coins in the reject tray itself but not so many. The coins from the pipe cannot be seen by the casual user. You have to get down on your knees to see into the pipe, especially on many of the machines where a homemade shield has been installed to keep people from reaching into the pipe.

With the hook ended hanger wire, I don't have to do any more than bend over and scoop the coins, even if I cannot see them. I know the pipe leads to the chute and I'm used to it.

I know this all seems a bit much but I have got my routine down and smooth. I don't just walk up to the machine and stick my hanger in the pipe. I take my turn at the counter first, like a regular user would and check the pipe when the machine verbally suggests you check for rejected coins!

I do remove the basket, with the magnet underneath, almost every time I dump coins into the counter. I usually have two or more buckets of coins and the staff is used to my visits. The magnets produce most of my finds but when you find a jammed pipe, you may find quite a bit.

0CD
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  06:35:11  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
wow, that is..... much more 'hill billy' than any of my banks are.

I understand by 'Penny Arcade' you are referring to the coin machines that take your reject zinc.

I've never seen 'self done' PVC pipe being used, hardly ever see any coins spilled out, and the reject tray is 9 times out of 10 -EMPTY.

Guess you are just in an awesome area....
what region of the country are you in? Which City? or are you in rural area?

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  06:35:43  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
But the coin is a SUPER find! I think it is way cool!

Go to Top of Page

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  09:51:52  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
The foreign stuff is always fun to find. Have you ever pulled any silver or steelies out of the bunch?

Also keep an eye on the Canadian stuff, with our dollar and their dollar trading at parity, those coins could add up to a nice chuck of change. I am sure lots of members here would pay you the exchange rate for them. The tellers here always swipe the the $1 and $2 cons and do just that.

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  10:38:28  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
I have 12 Branches nearby, TDBank. Half the branches have two Penny Arcades. Mid-Atlantic region.
The farthest branch is 20 minutes from here.

The Penny Arcade is a nice machine and only this one aspect, the PVC tubing which leads to the reject tray and the metal panel which hides it's view are fabricated. No idea how that came to be.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  00:53:39  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Can you elaborate a bit more on the Penny Arcade?

Is it a coin counting machine?

Is it some set up that looks like it is for kids?

Does it actually have 'games' involved?

THanks

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2