Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 How to eat well on a food-stamp budget
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  21:00:22  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Just saw this online. I think the point about spices and strong-flavored foods being important additions is a very good one:

You must be logged in to see this link.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

caridad
Penny Pincher Member

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  23:13:24  Show Profile Send caridad a Private Message
Thanks. I went thru this before getting food stamps. By the way, Today anyone who gets food stamps and cash aid are required to go to welfare to work program. They actually help you get a job. I just finished this one month project. If you don't get a job they'll pay for your education.

ARE YOU READY? ARE YOU SELF SUFFICIENT? ARE YOU GREEN????
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  08:18:11  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Please be careful what you buy to eat when trying to save money. I am virtually certain that my doing so was what caused my health to spiral downward, out of control. So many of the products I was eating because it was cheaper were actually harming my body and I have ended up spending more for medications, both prescription and OTC medications and/or supplements. Not to mention the charges for the doctors' visits.

Especially avoid any packaged foods or even some spices/seasoning mixes as these can contain MSG.

You must be logged in to see this link.

I don't drink or smoke and had two vices that I felt couldn't harm me. I was wrong. I drank regular Coke rather than the diet as I knew I was allergic to Nutra-sweet (aspartamene) (sp?). I loved a small piece of Dove Dark Chocolate.

The Coke contained the words: Natural Flavors
The Dove Dark Chocolate listed: Natural and Artificial Flavors as well as other words that could also mean MSG.

Natural Flavors is a favorite phrase that can often be used to hide MSG. So, I had to go cold turkey on these foods as well as others when I began my dietary changes. And, feeling so much better, so quickly is well worth giving up these vices!!!
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  16:32:29  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
While I am sorry to hear of your problems with MSG, I wouldn't go as far as to so no one should eat it. I have no problems with MSG. I think we all differ on how our bodies process certain chemicals and compounds. Like with the aspartame you mention, it can effect some people VERY bad while others it doesn't really bother at all (though I still think this chemical additive should not be legal given much of the evidence against its long term consumption).

In general though, I would agree that most of the mass produced, processed foods (which are usually the cheap ones) are definetly bad for you in the long run. Too bad most businesses work solely on short term profits and not actually on the long term health of their customers.

Also, to the Natural Flavors title, they certainly do hide lots of odd stuff with that moniker. Lots of weird soy and wheat derivatives get lumped into "Natural Flavors".

Here is the federal code or regulation on calling something a "natural flavor"

The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate,distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis,which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice,vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat,seafood,poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional. Natural flavors,include the natural essence or extractives obtained from plants listed in
subpart A of part 582 of this chapter, and the substances listed in § 172.510 of this chapter.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  16:55:42  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I used to get horrific migraines when I drank Diet Mountain Dew. I realized the connection after one of my college profs saw me in class one day with both a migraine and a Diet Dew, and she commented that there might be a connection between the aspartame and my headache. I did away with aspartame and the headaches went away.

Now I drink four pots of coffee a day to get my caffeine and keep the headaches away!

---------------

Edited by - Nickelless on 04/19/2010 16:57:24
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  17:18:40  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Don't even get me started on ANY food stamp discussion. I usually upset a few people....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  17:22:06  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by caridad

Thanks. I went thru this before getting food stamps. By the way, Today anyone who gets food stamps and cash aid are required to go to welfare to work program. They actually help you get a job. I just finished this one month project. If you don't get a job they'll pay for your education.

And that would be who? Me....

Deal

p.s. Sorry, the whole process needs revamped. I GUARANTEE more that 50% of people on stamps/welfare/aid/whatever have the means to get off of them, they just don't. Easy money. TOO easy....

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  18:48:07  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

Don't even get me started on ANY food stamp discussion. I usually upset a few people....

Deal

Maybe since this thread is just about eating on a food stamp budget (not food stamps themselves), it'll help people think about how they can live on just a little if they cut out non-vital expenses, even if it means things are tighter than they'd like. But yeah, Deal, you and I tend to be on the same page. Food stamps have their place, but help should begin with people, not with the government.

---------------

Edited by - Nickelless on 04/19/2010 18:52:41
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  20:05:44  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  20:13:46  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  00:41:39  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Jamie, I think we should designate you official Realcent cheerleader. You're better at offering encouragement than just about anyone else here.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

caridad
Penny Pincher Member

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2010 :  19:58:52  Show Profile Send caridad a Private Message
just an update...the welfare to work program has helped me find a temporary job. during the time i was participating in jobclub i went job hunting. i found a permanent position in my original field...teaching. so, i'm off the cash aid and food stamps.

ARE YOU READY? ARE YOU SELF SUFFICIENT? ARE YOU GREEN????
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  20:41:44  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by caridad

just an update...the welfare to work program has helped me find a temporary job. during the time i was participating in jobclub i went job hunting. i found a permanent position in my original field...teaching. so, i'm off the cash aid and food stamps.

Good score on the job.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

chris6084
Penny Collector Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  23:02:39  Show Profile Send chris6084 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

Deal

You and me both. Just work in a grocery store for a few years. Look at the things the people on food stamps buy, and the things that the hard workers spending their own money buy. BIG difference.
Go to Top of Page

jonflyfish
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  18:52:02  Show Profile  Send jonflyfish a Yahoo! Message Send jonflyfish a Private Message
Beans and rice....beans and rice (and some cornmeal for those living in the deep south)

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; second is war. Both bring a temporary (and false) prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunities.
Go to Top of Page

frugalcanuck
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  22:52:21  Show Profile Send frugalcanuck a Private Message
I agree that good food makes a great difference in health. It is getting harder and harder these days to decifer good food from bad food because the government refuses to get tough on the food labelling issue but decides to "get tough on crime" instead. I think it should be a crime to "lie" to consumers about what is in their food they buy. A much bigger crime than people think. Food is my biggest concern for the future. I am saving up cash (and PM's) to buy land. The people on here might not like to hear this but I think having productive land is more important than PMs.

One box of Nickels

11.65% .999 Ni
Go to Top of Page

frugalcanuck
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  22:56:37  Show Profile Send frugalcanuck a Private Message
On another note... I also stopped drinking soda pop and noticed a huge difference. And I considered myself to be in great shape before. I used to drink alot of it.. a can or two a day (useually one). I stopped drinking it 3 years ago. Though I still have a coke when Im home for Christmas

One box of Nickels

11.65% .999 Ni
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2