Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Textbook on Scrap Metal Salvage
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FormerHSPrincipal
Penny Sorter Member

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  05:29:45  Show Profile Send FormerHSPrincipal a Private Message
If there was a textbook on Scrap Metal Salvage, obviously it would have many many chapters. Some of those chapters might be: Do's and Don't, Ideas to Always Keep in Mind, Closing a Deal, etc.

My question to those of you who have experience in this sort of thing, what tantilizing tidbits of information have you learned by doing, that you would want to see in a book?

silversaddle1
Penny Pincher Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  05:36:27  Show Profile Send silversaddle1 a Private Message
And some people think the Bible is hard to understand....

A book such as the one you are proposing..... holy cow!

The old guy who taught me most of my steel scrapping know how used to say "life is a very poor teacher, It gives the test first and the lesson later." Even after 22 years full time in the metal recycling business, that statement still rings true!
Go to Top of Page

FormerHSPrincipal
Penny Sorter Member

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  05:40:28  Show Profile Send FormerHSPrincipal a Private Message
Two very important lessons that I learned yesterday were ... Get a bed liner in your new truck before transporting scrap metal. AND, always cover your back window with something solid so when you hit the brakes hard, what was in the back of your truck does not try and get into the front of the truck via the window. The good thing is that at least I still have my head attached to my sholders.
Go to Top of Page

cpthnsolo
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  10:05:30  Show Profile Send cpthnsolo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FormerHSPrincipal
AND, always cover your back window with something solid so when you hit the brakes hard, what was in the back of your truck does not try and get into the front of the truck via the window.

You should also always ratchet strap your load before heading to the dump. All it takes is one item to fall out in traffic and cause a wreck and you'll be sued for more than you'll ever collect scrapping.

Tips for beginners:
1) ALWAYS carry gloves with you and use them. You may think, "that piece of pipe looks clean so I don't need gloves", but when you pick it up and jam a steel shard in your palm you'll regret it.
2) Carry wire cutters -- You can clip the power cords off of things like plastic vacuums and large TVs.
3) Don't think for a minute that you can stand a grill up in the back of your truck without securing it somehow. Unless it's secured it's going to fall over so either lay it down or secure it.

Obviously one of the most important things to do is to break everything down before heading to the yard. Every time I go to the yard I see people pushing appliances off their truck with the power cable still attached . It takes 5 minutes or so to cut those cables and yank the harness...

Go to Top of Page

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

572 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  19:20:32  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message
Straps! I have multiple on top of multiple of varied length and width. No Brainer! Strap across the top not around the middle. Always use straps and use more if in question.

Pick up fence gates to place behind your rear window. This will not stop all but helps dramatically.

Bed frames are your friend. They are easy to weld or bolt and can be use to self make ladder racks and anything else that angle iron is good for. (everything)

use leverage before muscle

dissect scrap like your science project(simplest form)

sell usable parts to those that want them (recycling at its finest)

buy quality tools to pass on to your children

always think safety

Do ya'll seriously need a book?

Time is money!

"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"

" The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."

H.L. Mencken

http://silver-news-today.com/
Go to Top of Page

messymessy
Penny Sorter Member

88 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  22:06:33  Show Profile Send messymessy a Private Message
Actually a book would help me a bunch. What I'd need to know is how to identify metals and how to sort steel for the most money.
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  22:49:21  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
some metal ID stuff here... You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  15:11:22  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
Metal ID is probably the biggest one. I learned by trial and error. It would have been nice to have a reference.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

goldsilverpro
Penny Sorter Member

26 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  07:11:55  Show Profile Send goldsilverpro a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  13:37:57  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly