Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 What did you scrap this week?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

davycoppit
Penny Pincher Member

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  19:34:27  Show Profile Send davycoppit a Private Message
My scrapping season is starting again. I just started demoing a garage today. Tomorow I will get all the wire in the garage and a 20 ft section of lead pipe.
On my way home from work I was sitting in traffic and it was hardly moving. I was on the left and there was about a four foot section between me and the concrete wall. I was just sitting there looking at all of the scrap metal that was laying on the side of the road. I then got the Idea to drive over stick my hand out and pick it up, my corolla is low to the ground. I got a few pieces of aluminum and two wheel caps(didn't fit my car, I need one). I could do it and not even slow traffic down. It kept me from losing my mind durring traffic and I bet the guy behind me had a good story to tell.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  20:12:52  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by davycoppit

My scrapping season is starting again. I just started demoing a garage today. Tomorow I will get all the wire in the garage and a 20 ft section of lead pipe.
On my way home from work I was sitting in traffic and it was hardly moving. I was on the left and there was about a four foot section between me and the concrete wall. I was just sitting there looking at all of the scrap metal that was laying on the side of the road. I then got the Idea to drive over stick my hand out and pick it up, my corolla is low to the ground. I got a few pieces of aluminum and two wheel caps(didn't fit my car, I need one). I could do it and not even slow traffic down. It kept me from losing my mind durring traffic and I bet the guy behind me had a good story to tell.

Definitely would be a sight to see.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  20:17:16  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
Still stripping that copper wire.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  20:20:10  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
How much to strip, and what gauge?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

davycoppit
Penny Pincher Member

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  20:28:06  Show Profile Send davycoppit a Private Message
quote:
Definitely would be a sight to see.

Yeah I am definatly never going to do it again tho. Its not worth getting in an accident. Unless someone droped a few silver bars.

Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  02:25:38  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
quote:
How much to strip, and what gauge?

I have yards and yards of the stuff, all various gauges. It's hard work, but I've gotten pretty fast. I'm amazed at how fast it all adds up.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

davycoppit
Penny Pincher Member

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  13:27:54  Show Profile Send davycoppit a Private Message
Hey fiatboy what tools do you use to strip the wire? Also have you found any good techniques to stripping it? I have two trash cans full of insulated wire that I would like to strip.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  15:11:25  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
You guys strip your wire? The place I bring my wire to gives me .90/lb. for insulated wiring. Think I could get more for stripped wire?

Stay Solid.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  17:40:20  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Solidus

You guys strip your wire? The place I bring my wire to gives me .90/lb. for insulated wiring. Think I could get more for stripped wire?

Definately. Stripped wire usually fetches #1 prices.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  16:02:09  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Solidus, definitely, it depends on the wire, but you'd more than likely get about 4 times the money. The bigger stuff (cu #1) is easier to strip than the smaller stuff though, so sometimes I only strip the bigger stuff and take the smaller stuff in as is. Right now I'm saving everything up to make a huge run.
Davy, I've done the grab and go from my car in traffic before also. Kinda scary though.

24 Empty Missile Tubes, A Giant Mushroom Cloud....It's Miller Time!!!
Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  19:24:12  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
quote:
Hey fiatboy what tools do you use to strip the wire? Also have you found any good techniques to stripping it? I have two trash cans full of insulated wire that I would like to strip.

I use scissors to cut the wire loose. Then I use a razor blade or exacto knife to cut into the coating until I can see the copper. Sometimes I cut straight down into it. Sometimes I cut at an angle---doesn't matter as long as I have a piece to hold on to. Occasionally, I have to whittle away the rubber coating until the copper is free.

Then with copper wire in one hand and the rubber coating in the other, I pull them apart. Sometimes I can do it in one piece. But usually the wire or coating breaks a few times before it's completely stripped.

I'm sure there are some better techniques to wire stripping. It's just a matter of practice, I suppose.

Oh yeah, some wire is easier to remove if you push or scrunch it together like Chinese finger-cuffs.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  12:32:15  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I scrapped 4 pounds of Number 2 copper for 11.60$
62 pounds number 1 copper for $86.80
28 pounds aluminum $16.80
60 pounds of lead for $21

All I cold fit in my little Kia Spectra.

Edited by - n/a on 05/31/2008 12:36:28
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  14:51:03  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by forsmant

I scrapped 4 pounds of Number 2 copper for 11.60$
62 pounds number 1 copper for $86.80
28 pounds aluminum $16.80
60 pounds of lead for $21

All I cold fit in my little Kia Spectra.

You only received 86.80 for 62 pounds of #1 copper? Is that a typo? That would only be 1.40 a pound. Or was it insulated wire? That would make more sense. Insulated wire isn't considered #1 copper, at least not around here, so I'm guessing it was a typo (either the weight or the total amount) or you called it #1 when it was really insulated?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  16:08:13  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
It was a bunch of miscellaneous insulated wire. A crap heap, really of all, kinds of wires. That is what we call number two here in Omaha, Nebraska. Number two is clean copper here. It is not as good of a price as I received last time, but last time my number two was all residential insulated wire.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  20:34:46  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Okay, that makes sense. BTW, I hope I didn't sound rude, like a know it all, etc in my last post. I was just curious. I figured it was insulated wire, but was just curious if the price was really that different. Thanks for clearing it up.

Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  17:57:03  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I will strip larger insulated wire, but generally just turn in the smaller stuff as is.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

91 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  22:19:00  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Wednesdays total - $625 in steel 200/per ton (2 trips with dump trailer)

thursday load 24820 pounds of electric motors .20 per pound for total of $4964
5 loads

wednesdays total paid for a bobcat for 2 days and we used a large dump trailer so physical manpower was minimum. Most of the motors were forklift battery chargers which we also cut off the cords which have lots of finer wire copper in them.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  07:01:21  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Nice haul. You said we. What was the split if I can ask?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

91 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  17:07:41  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
equally between 2 of us just under 2500 each
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  17:11:07  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Sweet haul indeed. Congrats. Hopefully you can get a few more loads like it.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

91 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  20:57:27  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
theres still at least 3-4 tons of steel to get, including corrugated steel barn and home made incinerators, plus a few trashcans of dirty copper pieces that need steel nuts and bolts removed. i will try to get some pics up of some of the good stuff we have left.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  06:30:37  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Definately post the pictures if you can take some.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  20:35:18  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I found a BBQ grill today and while scrapping it, I found that the lid and case were cast aluminum. This is my first one to scrap like this, does the srap yard take this as extruded aluminum. Any knowledge on this is welcome. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

wavecrazed
Penny Sorter Member

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  17:30:09  Show Profile Send wavecrazed a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by evans

I found a BBQ grill today and while scrapping it, I found that the lid and case were cast aluminum. This is my first one to scrap like this, does the srap yard take this as extruded aluminum. Any knowledge on this is welcome. Thanks.

HI, I found out that bbq's are cast aluminum. Extruded usually has a 90 degree angle somewhere and is a different color. I believe they use some sand in the process of making it so the cost is less. I usually get around 60 cents vs 70 cents here for the cast and extruded.

scrappin" all over
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  21:27:38  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by evans

Hi Evans. It's cast aluminum. I've done a few bbq's and the average weight of aluminum is around 12 lbs. So about 8 bucks minimum for a busted bbq. Not bad huh? Not to mention the brass fittings, etc. The standard bbq is easy to take apart, either the lid and case come off easy by hand, or if the bolts are too rusty, you can put bbq on side and bust apart with sledge hammer. You have to be careful of flying debris though.
Keep up the good work.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2