Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 What did you scrap this week?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

double dot
Penny Sorter Member

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  00:12:15  Show Profile Send double dot a Private Message
Found two abandoned and not connected dry transformers behind a building. Asked owner he said I could have them as they have sat there for over a year. 710 lbs each aluminum and steel. Open up 1st get out core from housing. Leave for the evening. Come back late at night w/ more tools. Someone else stripped 1/6 of the aluminum in the last 3 hours. I was going to work on it there. So I pulled 1st core into station wagon 650 plus lbs and into my back yard. Left note claiming 2nd transformer w/ owners permission. When I get home from work Thursday night 7 PM what do you bet the untouched transformer is missing or stripped.

The scrapping business is a total frontier with lots of claim jumping. And its a lot of work. You try to get a 650 plus lb hunk of metal into a station wagon w/ one good arm on short notice. Its insanity I tell ya.

Crouching Teller, Hiding Copper
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  06:25:57  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by double dot

Found two abandoned and not connected dry transformers behind a building. Asked owner he said I could have them as they have sat there for over a year. 710 lbs each aluminum and steel. Open up 1st get out core from housing. Leave for the evening. Come back late at night w/ more tools. Someone else stripped 1/6 of the aluminum in the last 3 hours. I was going to work on it there. So I pulled 1st core into station wagon 650 plus lbs and into my back yard. Left note claiming 2nd transformer w/ owners permission. When I get home from work Thursday night 7 PM what do you bet the untouched transformer is missing or stripped.

The scrapping business is a total frontier with lots of claim jumping. And its a lot of work. You try to get a 650 plus lb hunk of metal into a station wagon w/ one good arm on short notice. Its insanity I tell ya.

Should have secured them both first thing. Oh well, maybe next time....Either way, nice find.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:38:15  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by evans

I am also new to scrapping, it is very addictive. I drive my wife crazy, because I am always talking about scrap metal. This week I have found a pair of aluminum cruthces, window screen frames and a shower threshold. I also miss out on things because I am reluctant to get it from the curb. I need to learn to be bold. USsubsailor, what was the irony cast motor you took in. I am trying to learn what things are worth getting.

Hi Evans, it was just an old Honda motor. I'm not really a car guy, but it was just your standard car engine. The only requirement is that there is no oil in it. I took of the oil filter and the oil pan, only took a few minutes. I found another motor two days ago. It weighs about the same. The same thing applies, remove the oil pan and filter and it turns into instant cash.

24 Empty Missile Tubes, A Giant Mushroom Cloud....It's Miller Time!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:02:43  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:

Good find. I can't imagine how you got that into your station wagon by yourself.

Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  17:43:03  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
No kidding, I'd be back at the ER with back pain!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  20:31:08  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Found a 90's model fax machine today. Brought it hame to scrap and recovered aprox 6 pounds of aluminum from it and 10 pounds of metal. My biggest problem is with storage so I am trying to find things they give the most value versus room.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  09:46:31  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hi Evans, did you take out the transformer? I'm pretty confident there should be a decent sized one in there.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  19:22:34  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
It had a power supply board that was incased in a aluminum shell. The board had three transformers on it, they were about two inches high each. I did not remove them because I was not sure what to do with them. I did pull all the heatsinks off of the transistors because they were made of thick aluminum. I was very suprised at what I recovered, from it. I quess I should of pulled the transformers.
Go to Top of Page

double dot
Penny Sorter Member

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  04:11:01  Show Profile Send double dot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by USNavySubSailor

quote:

Found two abandoned and not connected dry transformers behind a building. 710 lbs each aluminum and steel. Open up 1st get out core from housing. Leave for the evening. Come back late at night w/ more tools. Someone else stripped 1/6 of the aluminum in the last 3 hours. I was going to work on it there. So I pulled 1st core into station wagon 650 plus lbs and into my back yard. Left note claiming 2nd transformer w/ owners permission. When I get home from work Thursday night 7 PM what do you bet the untouched transformer is missing or stripped.

Good find. I can't imagine how you got that into your station wagon by yourself.

Nor could the claim jumpers on the 2nd transformer. They moved it the 2nd night far away from where a vehicle could reach it. But I found it on foot and with a two wheeler, two boards, and a racheting wire hoist plus rope all went well loading the 2nd transformer into the station wagon. Tonight I finished unwinding the aluminum of the 1st core.

Aluminum is odd. Such low density that a large volume is needed to get the same weight compared to other metals. Also how come it can be so soft in a transformer, but so hard in a ladder?

Crouching Teller, Hiding Copper
Go to Top of Page

WheatieFan
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  11:46:03  Show Profile Send WheatieFan a Private Message
quote:

The board had three transformers on it, they were about two inches high each. I did not remove them because I was not sure what to do with them.

I save up transformers in a milk crate. I keep motors in a separate crate. A half-full milk crate is almost too heavy to lift. Not all places will buy them, but those that do may pay $0.10 - 0.30 per pound for them.

Heatsinks are nice to accumulate, too.

WheatieFan
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  15:01:33  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
On the way to church on Sundays I always leave early so I can do a scrap run. I got a few items on the way in but nothing great. However, on the way home, a guy right up the street had cleaned out his garage. I picked up several brass garage lights, several electrical doodads and about 400 lbs. of steel shelving. Not bad for one stop! I'll be headed out on my usual Sunday evening run shortly (Trash day is Monday) So hopefully I'll find a few more goodies!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  17:39:53  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Turned some scrap in today.

#1 Cu 34lbs. @ $2.60 $88.40
#2 Cu 18lbs. @ $2.40 $43.20
#1 Ins Cu 75% 74lbs. @ $1.90 $140.60
ACR's (Au/Cu Radiators) 180lbs. @ $1.35 $243.00
Misc. scrap 50lbs. @ $0.07 $3.50
Total $518.70

Things will pick up as the weather heats up.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Hirbonzig
Penny Collector Member

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  21:45:18  Show Profile Send Hirbonzig a Private Message
43 lbs of alum. @.75/lb....$32.25
11 lbs of cans...$9.35 alum. cans were paying .85/lb today, up $0.25 in the past 2 months.
total $41.60
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  20:38:43  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Found two abandoned and not connected dry transformers behind a building. 710 lbs each aluminum and steel. Open up 1st get out core from housing. Leave for the evening. Come back late at night w/ more tools. Someone else stripped 1/6 of the aluminum in the last 3 hours. I was going to work on it there. So I pulled 1st core into station wagon 650 plus lbs and into my back yard. Left note claiming 2nd transformer w/ owners permission. When I get home from work Thursday night 7 PM what do you bet the untouched transformer is missing or stripped.

Nor could the claim jumpers on the 2nd transformer. They moved it the 2nd night far away from where a vehicle could reach it. But I found it on foot and with a two wheeler, two boards, and a racheting wire hoist plus rope all went well loading the 2nd transformer into the station wagon. Tonight I finished unwinding the aluminum of the 1st core.

Aluminum is odd. Such low density that a large volume is needed to get the same weight compared to other metals. Also how come it can be so soft in a transformer, but so hard in a ladder?

Ladder aluminum is called "aluminum extrusions". I haven't looked up the difference, but that is why.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  20:41:50  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

Turned some scrap in today.

#1 Cu 34lbs. @ $2.60 $88.40
#2 Cu 18lbs. @ $2.40 $43.20
#1 Ins Cu 75% 74lbs. @ $1.90 $140.60
ACR's (Au/Cu Radiators) 180lbs. @ $1.35 $243.00
Misc. scrap 50lbs. @ $0.07 $3.50
Total $518.70

Things will pick up as the weather heats up.

Deal

Good evening Deal. Nice haul. I've only turned in insulated wire one time, and I really don't remember what they called it. What type of wire is 75%? I know what the numbers mean, but not sure how to separate it if I'm not going to strip.
Also, what's the definition of misc. scrap?
Thanks in advance.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  20:52:02  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Turned in my scrap today. Not a big load, but had to make some room.

#1 Cu 9lbs. @ $2.80 $25.20
#2 Cu 12lbs. @ $2.55 $30.60
Cast Alum 14lbs. @ $0.68 $9.52
Alum Sheet 9lbs. @ $0.67 $6.03
Irony Cast Alum (old car engine) 164lbs. @ $0.24 $39.36
Irony Sheet Alum (alum radiator) 6lbs. @ $0.25 $1.50
Yellow Brass 6lbs. @ $1.72 $10.32
Electric Motor Breakage 38lbs. @ $0.18 $6.84
Copper Transformer Core (from microwave) 12lbs. @ $0.38 $4.56
Steel & Iron Mixed 58lbs. @ $0.02 $1.16

Grand total $135.09

I'm kinda disappointed about the iron and steel, I hear how everyone is making a killing, but these guys don't pay that much. I keep forgetting to ask them what I'm doing wrong, etc.

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  06:50:59  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:

Good evening Deal. Nice haul. I've only turned in insulated wire one time, and I really don't remember what they called it. What type of wire is 75%? I know what the numbers mean, but not sure how to separate it if I'm not going to strip.
Also, what's the definition of misc. scrap?
Thanks in advance.

Wire was mostly #8 insulated. The actual definition of misc. scrap is, "Alum Trans, heavy brkg, furnace". I shortened it for simplicity. For me it included; liquid and suction line dryers, the ends of some of the coils, and whatever they pulled from my other boxes as rejects. Hope I helped.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  07:36:00  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Definitely helped Deal. Misc scrap here is stuff like vcrs, radios, whole computers, etc. They recently started taking this kind of stuff, at least in whole condition.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  18:59:43  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Deal and Subsailor, looks like you both did good. Thanks for describing what the metal was when turned in, it lets everyone know more about what to collect. I am still in the gathering mode and hope to be able to take a load in next Monday. I did check on the mixed steel price and found on place that will give .07 per lb. Several dealers said that they weren't collecting steal at this time, only aluminum, copperand such.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  13:49:49  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I turned in some copper scrap today. Three small boxes of miscellaneous wires, some water pipes, and a small motor. Number 1 is paying $3.40 and number two $3.20. I had about 9 pounds of number one. $182.20 for six months of scrap collected from remodel jobs.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  14:11:16  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by forsmant

I turned in some copper scrap today. Three small boxes of miscellaneous wires, some water pipes, and a small motor. Number 1 is paying $3.40 and number two $3.20. I had about 9 pounds of number one. $182.20 for six months of scrap collected from remodel jobs.

What? How in the world are you getting that much? Where are you located? Copper is just under $4 per pound....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  16:06:36  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Omaha, Nebraska. Aksarben Scrap Metal 12 and Izard
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  21:22:53  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Sweet deal man! I wish my prices were that high. Keep it up!

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  21:35:40  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Yeah, they said they will match anyone else's quote. They were real busy today.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  23:19:57  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:

Deal and Subsailor, looks like you both did good. Thanks for describing what the metal was when turned in, it lets everyone know more about what to collect. I am still in the gathering mode and hope to be able to take a load in next Monday. I did check on the mixed steel price and found on place that will give .07 per lb. Several dealers said that they weren't collecting steal at this time, only aluminum, copperand such.

No problem. I only wish there were as many people discussing recycling as there are hoarding pennies. Lots of info on pennies, but limited on recycling. In my opinion, I think there is a ton more money to be made doing this than in hoarding. But, that's just my opinion.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2