Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 Great commentary: "I Hate Food Storage"
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  22:58:30  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.

I do. I really do. In fact you’ll rarely hear me use those two words together in my home.

Food storage is 50 pound bags of dusty, weevil-infested wheat, stale rice, and rock hard beans that I would never eat in a million years.

Food storage is exploding cans of tomatoes, fermented juices, and salt-ridden soda pops that have been in the basement for decades.

Food storage is stinky powdered milk that I wouldn’t eat in even the most desperate of circumstances. 

Food storage is food that only Grizzly Adams or Daniel Boone would be excited about. Notice, they are both now dead.

Food storage is unappetizing, boring, and painful to even consider consuming.

Food storage is depressing to think I might have to use someday.

Food storage is expensive housing for dust bunnies.

Food storage is 300 cans of Chef-Boyardee.

Food storage is countless glass jars full of unrecognizable, dull hues of putrid green, pale orange, and some other color that simply is not natural.

Food storage is simply my way of feeding all of the rats and other rodents in our society.

Food storage is just one more thing to worry about and is probably created by some maniacal male who has no aesthetic taste for home décor whatsoever.

Food storage is about as exciting to me as a scrapbooking convention would be to my husband—and probably just as painful too.

But oh how I love my pantry—full of foods that my family loves and craves. I have to admit that I feel a bit puffy-chested knowing that I can whip up some amazing Shepherds Pie, Fettuccine Alfredo, Green Beans Almondine, Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole, Clam Chowder, Big Beef Chili, Chunky Ratatouille, and so many other yummy dishes any day of the year without stepping one foot in a grocery store.

I love the bright colors of the wide variety of canned goods on my shelves.

I love that my pantry means comfort for just my husband and I or a hungry surprise visit from the local Scout troop.

I love going into my pantry and pulling out the ingredients I need for scrumptious Fantasy Fudge, Spiced Walnuts, and Mile High Lemon Pie.  Yum!

When I see my stores of wheat, I get hungry just thinking about the warm loaves of bread, hot scones, cinnamon rolls, doughnuts, pizzas, and calzones that I’ll get to make with that freshly stored grain.  With such an appetite, I can’t help wondering if I have enough.

My pantry represents peace in a time of horrific chaos. It’s practically my “secret weapon.”

To me, my stocked pantry means an occasional well-deserved break.  “Honey, I don’t feel like cooking tonight. Have some Raisin Bran.”

My pantry means “The client didn’t pay us!? No problem. We’ll have Beef Bourguignon tonight.”

My well-stocked pantry means great snacks while watching the three Santa Clause movies.

My pantry means no mandatory grocery bill for at least a year!

My mouth waters as I see the sprouts that will turn into fresh vegetables within a couple of days—accompanied by a homemade garlic dressing.

I love the smell of my pantry as it exudes the fresh scents of chocolate, herbs, and spices that I have on hand.

I love walking into the pantry and smelling Parmesan, Reggiano, Gruyere, Swiss, and Cheddar cheeses hanging all neatly—promising something delicious in the near future.

I love looking in my pantry—like a pallet of fresh paints, just waiting to be created into a comforting masterpiece on a canvas.

My pantry brings me great satisfaction and comfort—like being curled up in a fleece blanket with a cup of hot cocoa on a cold, brisk day.

My pantry represents peace, independence, security, comfort, and love.

If you still associate your preparedness efforts as “food storage” then I suggest you alter the methods you’re presently using. They aren’t working for you and in fact, they are an obstacle to you being prepared in this particular aspect. I truly do hate food storage. I loathe the term and its connotation. But I love having and confidently USING foods that I can store for years in my pantry, which I and my family love and enjoy. Get the picture?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2