Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Coin & Currency Collecting
 USA Numismatics (Coin Collecting)
 Annandale Coin Show Dec. 2009 report
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  09:28:07  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
I visited the Annandale Coin Show on December 12th, a small coins show held in my area every six months. (You must be logged in to see this link.)

I was last there in July of 2008, and recognized many of the dealers this time around.

I took my two dateless buffalo nickels, hoping that someone would be willing to nic-a-date them for me. Since I only have two, it doesn't seem worth it to me to buy a bottle just for two nickels. No dealer was willing to do this for me, even when I offered to return the favor with a purchase.

I also had no luck finding a seller of mylar coin flips. I had a bad experience with coin flips last year, when I bought a few hundred of them from my local coin shop for $4. I asked about PVC content, and he said they were PVC-free, "non-plasticized". Well, I was noticing that coins I put in these flips looked dirty after just a few months, and after the coin was removed there still remained a dirty grey circle where the coin used to be, as if the coin were still casting a shadow. I suspected PVC damage, and did a Beilstein torch test for the telltale green flame. The test proved positive for PVC. So I'm looking for mylar flips, and so far had no luck finding a local source of them. The two dealers selling flips made the same old claim that "non-plasticizing" meant PVC-free, but I've been fooled by that claim before, and neither dealer had ever heard of the torch test before.

Here's some info on the "Beilstein" PVC detection test:
You must be logged in to see this link.

I found the 2007 Krauss 1901-2000 World Coin Guide for sale for $25. I considered buying it, but the seller was very rude to me, and that rudeness cost him a sale. I think I'll check out the prices on used copies at Amazon. Does any RealCent member have a recent Krauss they'd sell me? Or better yet, is there a publication out there that's less of a price guide and more of an encyclopedia of 20th Century world coins?

I picked up 80 pre-1950 foreign coins for $18, from a kindly old dealer who's specialty, like mine, was foreigns. He had an interesting theory about which world coins will fetch the higher premiums. Although European coins remain the most popular, he said that post-1960 African coins will fetch high premiums later in this century. These coins were often minted in small quantities, rarely saved, and often demonetized or discontinued within a few decades of their introduction. By 2050, many of these coins will be hard to find even in clean condition, and the savvy foreign coin collector will know that a 1977 10 tambala from Malawi will be worth more than an 1885 British penny.

There were several other dealers offering bulk world coins, with prices ranging from 75 cents each to $3 per pound. Apparently the price for foreigns has fallen a bit since my last visit, despite the weakness of the US dollar.

Most dealers seemed to be doing okay despite the recession. Few complained of harder times in the trade, and many were having upbeat sales this season.

Dealer tables at this show run about $225 for the weekend, with cheaper rates for single-day space or smaller off-the-path locations. Tables at other local shows run as low as $90, so the ACS show is a bit pricey in comparison. This could explain the higher prices I've seen at ACS compared to this forum's marketplace.

One dealer had some coins privately minted as his business cards!

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins

Edited by - Cerulean on 12/14/2009 14:23:43

totalcount
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  19:41:03  Show Profile Send totalcount a Private Message
How was the traffic? Was there a lot of people and were they buying?
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  02:11:25  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I think I have a 2007 or 2008 book I can give you a deal on. Might take me a little while to find it.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

NiBullionCu
Penny Pincher Member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  09:30:38  Show Profile Send NiBullionCu a Private Message
quote:

Or better yet, is there a publication out there that's less of a price guide and more of an encyclopedia of 20th Century world coins?

You must be logged in to see this link. allows free lookups that don't provide pricing. That may work for you.
It will give you the Krause catalog number, image of coin, years minted, and metal composition.

Not too handy if you don't even know what country the coin is, but typically if you fill in the country and date field you are good to go.
Go to Top of Page

jtm3
Penny Pincher Member

USA
187 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  22:01:19  Show Profile Send jtm3 a Private Message
Awe man! I totally forgot about it. Eh... I have no money anyway.

Copper Cent Hoarding Wiki

coppercenthoarding.wikia.com

+637 posts
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  22:18:47  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
my krause catalog is a few years old. its the best print publication ive found.

for newer coins that arent in the book i use...

You must be logged in to see this link.

im sure that site has been mentioned on here before somewhere

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  12:16:49  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
hey, I didn't know that site. Thanks!!!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  13:53:42  Show Profile Send just carl a Private Message
Decent coin show report there. With reports like that you could be inspiring others to try coin shows. From the add it stated 90 tables. Were they all full of dealers? Were there really 90 dealers there? So too how was the crowds of purchasers? Did it appear they were buying big stuff or just average coins? $225 for the weekend so I assume you mean the show was a 2 day show or was it for 3 days?
Around me there are coin shows of almost any size you could imagine. At the smaller ones of about 20 to 30 or more dealers the tables are about $50/day. Larger shows of about 50 to 100 dealers usually have tables for more than the $50/day but not by much. This keeps the prices of coins down too.
Good report.

Carl
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  13:54:17  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
WorldCoinGallery is great for coin images and for checklists, but it doesn't have any information on composition, weight, or mintages.

I played with Numismaster's coin database the other day. I tried looking up a few select coins from my collection, but the search tool didn't yield any results. Is this database malfunctioning? Is there some trick to performing a fruitful search?

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  13:32:29  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
Carl,

I think all 90 dealer tables were full, and I don't recall seeing any empty tables. Many dealers had bought multiple tables, some using 2-4 tables for their wares. I'd say there were about 50-60 dealers present, including the two booksellers.

The crowds of buyers seemed comparable to the 2008 show I visited, but I can't speak for what kinds of purchases they were making.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  14:56:05  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
Nice thing about the 2009 Krause I bought (at a used bookstore...score!) is it came with a DVD-ROM that has the entire book in PDF format. That's really all I use; the paper copy sits at home.
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  13:31:32  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
Quick update for the July 2010 Annandale Coin Show:

Bulk foreigns are cheaper, down to about $2.50/lb.

Books are more expensive. The same Krause book I mentioned in my first post is now selling for $30, a 20% increase in just eight months.

Junk silver was less common, but large cents were more plentiful than ever.

New this time were not one but two fossil dealers!

What is the shelf life of Nic-a-Date?

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  13:48:54  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
I always buy Collector material online for the best price. I only purchase from coin shows if I like the dealer, or the coin. The prices always seem to be inflated and insulting. But eh. One dealer sold me some 90% for 10x. Back on the 10th

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2010 :  20:14:42  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
Woah, I didn't even know about this show. I live about 30 minutes from Annandale. I didn't think any coin shows came around here. Too bad I missed it. Maybe I will be able to go to the December show.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2