Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Coin & Currency Collecting
 Currently Circulating World Coins Forum
 Cerulean's "What is it?" foreign coin ID thread
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  08:58:45  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
Did you find an unusual coin in your roll of pennies? Where is this indecipherable coin you found in your change actually from? Is my foreign coin valuable? What metal is it made of?

Have no fear, Cerulean is here!

Post your mystery coin finds, and I'll do my best to identify its origin and maybe composition and value. Be as accurate as you can with your description. Tell me about any text on the coin, any images or symbols that appear on it, year of minting, its size or shape or color. Photos really are worth a thousand words, and are the best clues you can provide.

(If you can ID a mystery coin posted here, feel free to chime in with your opinion.)

Here's one of my recent foreign coin finds:

RUNNING TOTAL
---------------------------------------
3331 zincs (1982-2007) 75.5%
1053 coppers (1959-1982) 23.9%
26 wheats (1920-1958)
6 Canadian (1968-1995)
1 dime (2004)

Wanna take money away from the Fed? Spend dollar coins!

Edited by - Cerulean on 09/06/2007 09:04:30

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  17:58:24  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I have some. Not received as change or anything, but interesting. I can't figure
out how to post pictures. Someone tell me how and I will. I can't even explain some of these. I will do the easy one.

Same diameter as a U.S. dime. Smooth edge.
Male head in profile facing left. Head band saying "LIBERTAD"? (Last letter a litle worn).
"10 CENTAVOS" positoined like "Liberty" on U.S. dime. "2 1/2 GRAMOS" positioned the same except behind the head. It does weigh 2.5 grams. On reverse: What looks like the coat of arms of The Dominican Republic. Words on top say "DIOS PATRIA LIBERTAD", words on bottom "REPUBLICA DOMINICACA".

The real question is if it is silver or not. I think it is. Let me know what you think, and tell me how to post pictures. Thanks.

Deal

I'm so sick over pennies....I frequently trade a dime or two for the whole "take-a-penny" container if sufficient coppers exist. That will get you some odd looks.
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  08:27:41  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
NotABigDeal, I think you have one of these:

Dominican Republic, 10 centavos

This design was introduced in 1937, and was used until 1976. Coins minted from 1937-1966 contain silver; those minted 1967-1975 are base metal.

As for posting images, you first need to put the picture on the Internet somewhere, such as Flickr, PhotoBucket, or ImageShack which offer image hosting for free. Then, once you have a URL for your image, you post the address link here, with [ img ] on the left side and [ /img ] on the right side of the link. (Admins, we could use a "HOW TO..." thread about this.)

RUNNING TOTAL
26 wheats (1920-1958)
6 Canadian (1968-1995)
1 dime (2004)

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  15:03:03  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Great new thread Cerulean. I will have to get a few of my mystery coins received in rolls and put pics of them up here.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more.

"Preserving REAL coinage.. 2 tons at a time... and FAKE coinage.. a quarter ton at a time.. just for speculation"

HoardCode0.1:M49/15USCA:US1Cu705250(135000 Reserved):US1Zi150000:US5Ni9500:CA5Ni1150
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  17:21:59  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
You are correct. Of course its a 1967. I will take the pictures and post in the next few days. Thanks and good job!

Deal

I'm so sick over pennies....I frequently trade a dime or two for the whole "take-a-penny" container if sufficient coppers exist. That will get you some odd looks.
Go to Top of Page

centsless
Penny Pincher Member

119 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  17:41:23  Show Profile Send centsless a Private Message
Cerulean,can you tell me the composition of bahamiam pennies 1975 and 1978?
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  08:20:39  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
Wikipedia claims the following, citing Standard Book of World Coins, 18th Edition by Krause & Mishler as a reference:

Bahamas cent composition:
1966 - 1970: nickel-brass
1970 - 1974: bronze
1974 - 1985: brass
1985 - present: copper-plated zinc

RUNNING TOTAL
26 wheats (1920-1958)
6 Canadian (1968-1995)
1 dime (2004)

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  02:47:42  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Got an interesting coin in a penny roll tonight.

Aluminum
Plain edge
Date: 2003 on bottom
large 1
Yi Jiao
Oriental characters across the top

Reverse:
Flowering plant
ZHONGGUO

My guess is Korean 1 won

"Preserving REAL coinage.. 2 tons at a time... and FAKE coinage.. a quarter ton at a time.. just for speculation"

HoardCode0.1:M49/15USCA:US1Cu667700(60000 Reserved):US1Zi150000:US5Ni9500:CA5Ni1150

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 10/21/2007 20:14:35
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  14:11:55  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Got an interesting coin in a penny roll tonight.

Aluminum
Plain edge
Date: 2003 on bottom
large 1
Yi Jiao
Oriental characters across the top

Reverse:
Flowering plant
ZHONGGUO

My guess is Korean 1 won

You have a 2003 1 jiao coin from The People's Republic of China. It is worth one tenth of a yuan. At current exchange rates, this coin is worth USD$0.013.

One of these: You must be logged in to see this link.

I have one of these, too, dated 1999. I found it on the sidewalk in Times Square.

RUNNING TOTAL
3501 zincs (1982-2007) 75.4%
1106 coppers (1959-1982) 23.8%
31 wheats (1920-1958)
7 Canadian (1968-1995)
1 dime (2004)

Edited by - Cerulean on 10/25/2007 10:17:09
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  15:26:39  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Thanks Cerulean.. that's it! You're still battin' a thousand. A whole tenth of a yuan, huh? Looks like I made a cool third of a cent profit here. But isn't the chinese exchange rate kind of artificial? Of course I don't know what I did with the coin now.. seems I can hang onto copper and silver, but I can't seem to hang onto aluminum.. LOL.

HoardCode0.1:M49/15USCA:US1Cu675600(60000 Reserved):US1Zi150000:US5Ni9500:CA5Ni1150
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  07:27:54  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
"But isn't the chinese exchange rate kind of artificial?"

China had their currency pegged to the dollar for a long time. In July 2005 they switched it to being pegged to a basket of currencies. They also have close limits on how much it can change before they intervene.

One of China's biggest fears is that their currency will rise and destroy their export business. So to keep their currency from rising they offer it forsale at whatever their goal exchange rate is. Then when somebody wants to buy some at the rate they just turn on the printing presses.

In that way, they can keep it from rising. Of course, they can't control it from falling, but so far that has not been a problem. Their trade surplus and account surplus keeps the pressure on their currency upwards.

Many speculators are betting on China easing their currency controls further so the the Yuan can move up more naturally. This would also be good for average US worker because more stuff could be profitably made here instead of imported from China. Instead of everybody working at Wal-Mart maybe some of them could get factory jobs:)

So the US pressures China about their currency "manipulation" and China does whatever it thinks is good for China.

In any case, I think your 1/3 of a cent profit is safe...
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  20:20:27  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Reviving this thread....

I have one for you. I know the basics, but I want the details such as composition and history. I know the Netherlands was occupied by Nazi Germany at the time. Who minted it?

Front: A flower with three blossoms. One pointing 90 degrees to the left, one strait up, and one 90 degrees to the right.
"NEDERLAND" in a ribbon thing under the flower in a ribbon.

Reverse: Big "10" with CENTS below. Under that is the date 1943. All of this is situated between what looks like olive branches.

Reeded edge.

Go for it.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  13:56:05  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
It looks like you have one of these: You must be logged in to see this link.

They circulated alongside these smaller silver ones: You must be logged in to see this link.

Wikipedia says "In 1941, following the German occupation, production of all earlier coin types ceased and zinc coins were introduced for 1, 2½, 5, 10 and 25 cents. Large quantities of pre-war type, silver 10 and 25 cents and 1 gulden coins were minted in the U.S.A. between 1943 and 1945 for use following liberation." (source: You must be logged in to see this link.) I know that Denmark and Norway had similar experiences, minting zinc coins during the Nazi occupation years.

Bottom Line: Your Dutch coin is a wartime issue, made of zinc. Nice find, older than anything I've found.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Are you a Buffalo Hunter?
Wanna take seignorage away from the Fed? Spend *any* coins!
We cannot afford this government.
Cerulean's Standing Offer: $3/lb shipped for foreign coins

Edited by - Cerulean on 12/13/2007 14:06:34
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  17:27:41  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Exactly. Thanks man. Not sure even where it came from.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  23:23:27  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Yesterday in addition to lots of Walkers, Franklins and silver Kennedy's I got in some half dollar rolls (see my Christmas Story post) I got 1 foreign coin. It appears to have some silver in it and I am certainly happy with it for 50 cents. It is a 1955 Half Crown from Great Britian. Can you tell me a little about it, Cerulean?

Thanks

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  13:22:50  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
One of these: You must be logged in to see this link.

It's probably not silver, unless it's some sort of proof or error coin. "In 1947 the alloy used was changed from 50% silver to cupronickel." (source: You must be logged in to see this link. one of the best British numismatic websites). This agrees with Wikipedia that it's from the post-silver era.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  21:01:17  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Thanks Cerulean.. Guess they can't all be silver.. LOL.

Ok, here's another one that I found in a penny roll last night. It looks like it is made of copper-nickel. It has what appears to be St. George slaying a dragon on one side and the denomination 50 Koneeks on the the other. I think the date was 2005.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

fiatboy
Administrator

912 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  21:24:16  Show Profile Send fiatboy a Private Message
quote:
Ok, here's another one that I found in a penny roll last night. It looks like it is made of copper-nickel. It has what appears to be St. George slaying a dragon on one side and the denomination 50 Koneeks on the the other. I think the date was 2005.

I could be wrong, but I believe it's Russian. If it's the coin I'm thinking of, it has a vine or something under the 50, the horse has a very round neck, and (unlike a British Sovereign) the rider has a spear instead of a sword. Neat looking coin.

"Bart, it's not about how many stocks you have, it's about how much copper wire you can get out of the building." --- Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  14:21:53  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
Russia, 50 kopeks (that's half a ruble): You must be logged in to see this link.

0.50 Russian rubles = USD $0.02 as of 12/27/07

Struck since 1997, it's made of solid brass. In 2006 the coin's composition changed to brass-plated steel, with a plain edge. (See You must be logged in to see this link.)

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  16:22:26  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Thanks Cerulean.. that's it! You are still batting a thousand. You nailed it too, fiatboy! I like any coin that has a dragon on it. This is the first Russian coin I have gotten in a penny roll. Wow, the value of a ruble sure has dropped. I have an old russian 2 kopek piece that is a lot bigger and is solid copper.

Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  15:57:27  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link. one of the best British numismatic websites). This agrees with Wikipedia that it's from the post-silver era.
This was useful for me. I have a couple of two shilling pieces(one from 1954, the other from 1965) that I had been meaning to investigate. I was positive that the one from 1954 was silver. It turns out I was wrong but this is a good link to get Brit silver %.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  20:24:04  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
These are my freebies from the mall visit. (see other post)

Not sure which is front or back....Coin is communist Russian, that I know.
Side one: classic "CCCP" across bottom
World with a hammer and sickle covering it. World is surrounded by wheat stalks wrapped in cloth(?) or ribbon.
Side two: Reverse side I think. 15 KONEEK in middle, surrounded on both sides by wheat stalks. 1961 bottom.
Reeded edge.
Next two are similar, just different denominations. Both 1942.
One is a 1 franc (quarter size), the other is 50 centimes (dime size).
Both say Travail Famille Patrie across the top. Some sort of leaves on either side of the denomination.
The backs are identical.
Double-edge axe in the middle. Bent grain stalks on either side. Etat Francais around bottom.
These two are very light. Due to the war, I can't guess what the composition is. Pretty sure produced in Vichy France.

There they are, have fun.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  10:07:50  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Found another in one of my drawers.

From Israel. Quarter size, reeded edge.

Obverse(?) Menorah, (candle thing?) in the middle. Olive(?) branches on either side. Far left side says ISRAEL, far right looks Arabic or something, on bottom middle, something written in Hebrew(?).
Reverse(?) Looks like it has a large 1 over a 2, symbolising 1/2 of something? All writing on reverse is in what I believe is Hebrew. Three lines of text.

That's it. Any ideas? Composition?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Cerulean
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  14:32:47  Show Profile Send Cerulean a Private Message
*cracks knuckles*

Okay.... first one's a Soviet Union, 15 Kopeks, 1961 (You must be logged in to see this link.):

Minted from 1961-1991. Discontinued when the USSR collapsed. Made of "cupro-nickel-zinc".

Second one is France, 1 Franc, 1942 (You must be logged in to see this link.):

Minted 1942-1944 by the Vichy Regime of Nazi-occupied France. Made of aluminum.

Third one is France, 50 Centimes, 1942 (You must be logged in to see this link.):

Minted 1942-1944 by the Vichy Regime of Nazi-occupied France. Made of aluminum.

Fourth one is Israel, 1/2 Lirah (You must be logged in to see this link.):

Minted from 1963-1979, before the currency was replaced by the New Sheqel in 1980. No idea on composition.

None of these coins have any legal tender value anymore.

Sorting Map
2010 First Finds Contest

Edited by - Cerulean on 01/28/2008 14:35:43
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  17:09:46  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Correct on all fronts. Thanks man.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  18:10:11  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
I found a 1957 Six Pence just now. I though at first that I had struck silver, but it does not have the right feel. Does anybody know the composition of this coin? I had no luck doing a search...of course I did not look at every single link.

Thanks

Edited by - horgad on 03/01/2008 18:11:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2