Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 Bubble Wrap Window Insulation
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  04:25:51  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message

Bubble Wrap Window Insulation

It's that time of year again when we all try to keep the cold out of our homes. This stuff really works and is my 3rd year of using it.It turns single pane to double pane and double pane to triple pane window insulation. I've used a IR thermometer to validate the results and found that temperature of the bubble wrap and adjacent wall are the same.You can buy a box of it at wally world for $10 that will do several windows (or half windows). I have a large sliding glass patio door that I use it on and several other windows in the house. It made a big difference in how comfortable the rooms felt, not to mention the savings in energy.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Try it, you'll like it...

>

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  06:23:43  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Thanks for the link, Redneck! I know we've had threads about this before, but I'm not sure anyone had posted how-to links before.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  20:30:00  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
I remember reading that here. I've got the lower pane in the back of my kitchen done, doing the rest of the windows tomorrow. I won't be doing the south facing ones though, I open the blinds on the south windows each sunny day in the winter. Maybe I'll get insulating blinds for those.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

No82s
Penny Pincher Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  23:50:03  Show Profile Send No82s a Private Message
I remember this from last year also and tried it. Works like a charm.

The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is that the pessimist is better informed.
Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  17:39:30  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message

Yeah, I posted it last year. Just thought I would put out a reminder.

It just works so damm good...

Delawhere Jack - It will still allow the sun to warm the room.

Trust me, you lose more heat than you gain without using it. Just try it on one southern exposure window and you will see what I mean.

Oh,and if one layer is not enough, you can stick as many layers together as you like.

>
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  21:49:33  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
If you go on E-bay, you can buy it a lot cheaper. I bought some for 6 cent a sq ft. The stuff at Wal-Mart is about 11 cent per sq ft after tax.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  22:19:03  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
Ok, just finished covering all the windows except for two small ones over the kitchen sink. It's 29 deg. F. outside, let's see how much less often the furnace kicks on...

I feel warmer already...

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  08:26:10  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Delawhere Jack

Ok, just finished covering all the windows except for two small ones over the kitchen sink. It's 29 deg. F. outside, let's see how much less often the furnace kicks on...

I feel warmer already...

You feel warmer because of all the work you just did covering all those windows.

Let us know how well it works.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  22:23:34  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by slickeast

quote:
Originally posted by Delawhere Jack

I feel warmer already...

You feel warmer because of all the work you just did covering all those windows.

Let us know how well it works.

Yuck, yuck...heehee... Guess I set myself up for that....

Day Two. I've still not covered the windows over the kitchen sink, and when I go into the kitchen, it is definately colder than the rest of the house.

As I sit here in the front bedroom, with windows bubblewrapped, I'm perfectly comfortable in just a tee shirt (and pants of course, I'm not a perv...).

It's 27 deg F outside now, and the house feels like it normally would when it's 50.

Two thumbs up!

Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  19:59:18  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message

Thanks for the review No82s & DJ.

Read 448 times so far...

Curious, has anyone else tried it ???

>
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  22:23:09  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by redneck

Read 448 times so far...

>

Redneck, you were right. You still get the solar heat gain through the wrap. Plus, you still get the light, but without the glare. With all this north pole type weather we've had for the past couple weeks, I can say without a doubt, the house is warmer, and the furnace is coming on less often.

Amazing!

Go to Top of Page

Cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  19:11:33  Show Profile Send Cupronickel a Private Message
quote:

Read 448 times so far...

>

I think bubble wrap is far superior than the 3M (ir equivalent) window seals. It really works and is cheap!
Go to Top of Page

Gr33nday43

Uzbekistan
10 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  23:34:05  Show Profile  Send Gr33nday43 a Yahoo! Message Send Gr33nday43 a Private Message
I used it in my bedroom. It is warmer and I can keep my space heater running on low instead of high now. Thanks for the tip!
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  18:13:33  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cupronickel

quote:

Read 448 times so far...

>

I think bubble wrap is far superior than the 3M (ir equivalent) window seals. It really works and is cheap!

Yep. The 3M stuff will stop drafts, but adds little or no insulating value. It's so far away from the glass that convection can occur between it and the glass.

The bubbles in small-bubble wrap are about the same thickness as the space between panes of insulated glass. This space is small enough to prevent the air or inert gas between panes to form convection currents, hence you get the full insulating value of trapped, static air.

I'd say if you've got drafty windows though, use both methods.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2