Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Unusual Nickel--Picture Added
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  14:58:36  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Just searching through a few nickels to give my eyes a little break from the pennies.

Found a 1988 P nickel that on the reverse has the initials NRA "counter stamped" above the dome. Is that the correct term?

Anyone know anything about this or has anyone ever found one like this?

Thanks.

Edited to let you know I was able to post a picture yesterday of the reverse of this nickel.

Edited by - PreservingThePast on 03/16/2010 09:38:06

Dumpster Diver
Penny Collector Member

USA
474 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  20:07:15  Show Profile Send Dumpster Diver a Private Message
Haven't seen that one, but I love counterstamped coins and save all the ones I find- mostly halves and pennies. I'm trying to acquire enough to frame in a display someday.

"You're not really gonna throw that out...are you"?
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  09:12:23  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dumpster Diver

Haven't seen that one, but I love counterstamped coins and save all the ones I find- mostly halves and pennies. I'm trying to acquire enough to frame in a display someday.

Dumpster Diver...that's a really cool idea! Good luck on your collection.

I tried to do an internet search for this particular counter stamp and couldn't find a thing on it.

Anyone else know anything???

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  10:25:59  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
Probably a proud member of the National Rifle Association (You must be logged in to see this link.) has some time and some alphabet punches.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

Dumpster Diver
Penny Collector Member

USA
474 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  11:07:24  Show Profile Send Dumpster Diver a Private Message
Seems like nickels would be a little tougher to punch...at least by hand.

Anyone else found any counterstamped nickels?

Go to Top of Page

chris6084
Penny Collector Member

303 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  14:52:53  Show Profile Send chris6084 a Private Message
No nickels, but I have found many stamped pennies. I stampe several myself when I had access to some letter punches many years ago.
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  18:09:39  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
Or the National Restaurant Association. They get lots of change!
Go to Top of Page

myfundsarelow
Penny Collector Member

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  18:51:16  Show Profile Send myfundsarelow a Private Message
hi all, in my search of cents with stamped figures, found were a map of the [USA] [ ,JF Kennedy] [ a pipe for smoking] all neatly stamped to the right of lincolns head PEACE!!
Go to Top of Page

george454
Penny Pincher Member

242 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  09:10:32  Show Profile Send george454 a Private Message
I have not seen the nickel version but me my dad and grandad have two fifty cent peices stampeed NRA (National Rifle Assosiation), for becoming lifetime members. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

toomuchcopper
Penny Collector Member

USA
406 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  18:59:19  Show Profile Send toomuchcopper a Private Message
i would put my money on national rifle association

visit www.crazycoinguy.com
for information on how to sort, what to sort, and sorting equipment. We also sell copper pennies in bulk, and other coins.
Go to Top of Page

cecropia_moth
Penny Pincher Member

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  10:59:48  Show Profile Send cecropia_moth a Private Message
I have not come across any counter-stamped nickels.

Two recent penny finds w/ counter-stamps...(1) stamp of JFK to the right of Lincoln's head on a 1973 and (2) double-stamped 1976-D - map of the U.S.A. between Lincoln's mouth/beard and the right edge and a cracked Liberty Bell between the back of Lincoln's head and the left edge.

I think #1 above is pretty common and most sorters probably have seen it. Anyone else seen #2 above???

Dumpster - I 2nd that as being a pretty cool idea - have any particular favorites?

Take care,

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Dumpster Diver
Penny Collector Member

USA
474 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  08:19:48  Show Profile Send Dumpster Diver a Private Message
Not really, all the ones I have found are pretty boring or common, peoples names, businesses, etc. I'd really like to find an old love token-some of those are really elaborate in design.
I've found several of the JFK pennies, never the US map.
I once found "666" stamped into a copper- threw it in with the dump zincs to return-didn't want it in my house!

Edited by - Dumpster Diver on 11/14/2009 08:28:53
Go to Top of Page

BOHICA
Penny Sorter Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  18:21:45  Show Profile Send BOHICA a Private Message
quote:

Not really, all the ones I have found are pretty boring or common, peoples names, businesses, etc. I'd really like to find an old love token-some of those are really elaborate in design.
I once found "666" stamped into a copper- threw it in with the dump zincs to return-didn't want it in my house!

No, no, no, that was a "999". You threw away a bullion copper coin.
Go to Top of Page

Dumpster Diver
Penny Collector Member

USA
474 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  18:35:43  Show Profile Send Dumpster Diver a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BOHICA

quote:

No, no, no, that was a "999". You threw away a bullion copper coin.

Good point!

Go to Top of Page

IndieScience
Penny Sorter Member

33 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  22:30:49  Show Profile Send IndieScience a Private Message
Is it legal to counter stamp pennies and other coins for advertisement of a business? :D

This is something that really interests me!

Check out my Science Website: http://www.indiescience.org
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  23:26:33  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by IndieScience

Is it legal to counter stamp pennies and other coins for advertisement of a business? :D

This is something that really interests me!

Those machines that "flatten" a penny usually put the name of the business on it. The machines are everywhere. If it was illegal, the machines would be removed.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

IndieScience
Penny Sorter Member

33 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  23:32:26  Show Profile Send IndieScience a Private Message
Oh haha I should have thought about this a bit more!

It sounds like a really good way to advertise - engrave the companies URL into the nickel, penny, etc

Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  03:13:26  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
wow, engrave the URL? I'm not sure it wuold be readable. It would have to be pretty small to put a URL on a penny.

Never found a counter stamped Nickel. Cool FIND!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  14:30:18  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
To those who guessed "NRA" stands for "National Rifle Association"...good guess. That nickel is one of mine - I have put thousands into circulation, along with hundreds of quarters and a few dozen dollar coins.

I am curious to know where this one was found. I am wondering how far it travelled.
Go to Top of Page

IndieScience
Penny Sorter Member

33 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  14:42:52  Show Profile Send IndieScience a Private Message
counterstamp, how do you go about stamping them? I'd be interested in seeing your process!

I was thinking perhaps you could do something similiar to how they make circuit boards? They use electrolysis and coat other areas that they don't want to be eaten away with a plastic coating.

Maybe it wouldn't work t well, but if it were a tiny url, that then directed to the main site, it may not be to difficult.
But really I guess the best way would be to just put a stamp of ink on some paper money :P

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  16:26:58  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
That sounds like acid etching - that might be interesting to try some day, but counterstamping coins is still easiest the old fashioned way - with a steel punch (with the letters on the end) and a hammer. You can buy sets of letters or have a stamp made with your specific slogan or design (as was the case with NRA).

As for actual advertising on money, that is in a gray area legally, but miscellaneous counterstamping is OK.
Go to Top of Page

IndieScience
Penny Sorter Member

33 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  17:10:52  Show Profile Send IndieScience a Private Message
I see - well there is that "trace your dollar" sort of thing where you inter the number and location you got it on a site, right? I think that is a company and it is so far legal.

If it can do it, then I should be able to do it for any other business.. regardless if it has to do with tracing money or not.
At least I'd think... who knows! everything crazy.

Go to Top of Page

Dumpster Diver
Penny Collector Member

USA
474 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  17:21:42  Show Profile Send Dumpster Diver a Private Message
Hi counterstamp...welcome to realcent!

I can't wait to see how far away you and PTP are and how far that nickel traveled!

Where is the best place to buy counterstamp equipment?

Edited by - Dumpster Diver on 11/21/2009 17:22:52
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  09:39:51  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by counterstamp

To those who guessed "NRA" stands for "National Rifle Association"...good guess. That nickel is one of mine - I have put thousands into circulation, along with hundreds of quarters and a few dozen dollar coins.

I am curious to know where this one was found. I am wondering how far it travelled.

Counterstamp...welcome.

I found the coin in a roll I got from my bank here in Central Florida. I know this will tell you how far it has traveled but please enlighten the rest of us so we too will know the general area you released this coin and how far it traveled. I am about an hour's drive northwest of Disney World to help you pinpoint my location.

Thanks.

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  10:14:29  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thanks for the welcomes.

The vast majority (thousands) have been placed into circulation in New England (RI, MA, NH area) via coin counting machines. Several hundred were also set loose in Las Vegas a couple years ago. A friend reminded me that she did take a few dozen down to Florida last year (roughly Central Florida) and spent them there. So, yours could have been one of the few spent in FL or one that migrated down from up north.

A few other answers: how to get started? Get a custom steel handstamp made. Many places around the county can do this. A stamp like the one mentioned here (the letters on one custom punch) is about $30-40. You can get a set of individual letter stamps the same price or less (depends on quality).

Advertising on money: the “Where’s George” website did get into some trouble with the Secret Service until they agreed not to sell anything on their website. Once it was established that they did not profit from their site address being stamped on bills, the Secret Service backed off. So, advertising for profit could get some scrutiny.
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  11:22:43  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
Post a picture

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2