Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 Dispelling myths: Why prepping is not wrong
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  23:18:31  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I saw the post below by Jim Rawles, author of Survivalblog.com, which I think sums up what our attitude toward prepping should be--we're doing the wise thing by preparing for any possible contingency within reason and within our budget. Rawles says (and I and many of you will agree) that prepping doesn't indicate a lack of faith in God's provision for us--rather, it puts us in a position to avoid relying on others whose resources will likely also be strained if an emergency hits (a lot like Joseph in Genesis 41-42).

And nobody can forget the disastrous aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, when far too many people relied on the government and overwhelmed service organizations. And then there was the FEMA debacle which unfortunately continues. Here are some of their stories from the perspective of people who were prepared when other people weren't: You must be logged in to see this link.

And here's the post from Rawles that you can see in its entirety at this link:
You must be logged in to see this link.
quote:
I've noticed that people tend to throw around terms like "hoarding" very loosely. Let's get something straight: Purchasing storage food before a crisis does not constitute hoarding. That is because it doesn't take food from anyone's mouth. But if someone tried to amass their supplies after the onset of a crisis, then that would be hoarding. Simple logic dictates that every citizen that is well stocked represents one less individual that will rush to the supermarket to clean out the shelves, when disaster strikes. Hence, instead of being part of the problem, preppers are part of the solution. As I've often stated in radio and television interviews, I don't consider my family's three years worth of storage food a three year supply for one family. Rather, it is a one year supply for three families. Charity is essential, and Biblically mandated for heads of households. You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - Nickelless on 11/08/2009 23:32:26

Dalsuh
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
757 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  23:35:25  Show Profile Send Dalsuh a Private Message
Definitely not wrong. Why not buy in bulk the supplies you need anyhow to save money. Just implement FIFO(first in first out) to avoid spoilage.
Actually it's lazy doing otherwise, only buying food when your hungry like me .

PACK THE FORUM EVERY MONDAY NIGHT
Eastern 9 PM
Central 8 PM ( Forum Time )
Mountain 7 PM
Pacific 6 PM ( HoardCopperByTheTon Time)

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  23:42:41  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Good point, Dalsuh, but unfortunately wisdom and "common" sense are in pretty short supply these days.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  01:57:56  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Being prepped is good, i have my grab bag and if i am backed with a hunting pack filled with supplies I be good to go. Life can be a bit hard and with the dollar crashes it'll get even worse. After all our POTUS is stating we will "experience" a "double dip". Hmmm.....wonder what that means?

Chaos and discontent is coming...but who will be the cause of it?
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  20:21:18  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Na_rtemis

After all our POTUS is stating we will "experience" a "double dip". Hmmm.....wonder what that means?

I'd like butter pecan and cherry vanilla, but I think what's headed our way won't be nearly so enticing....

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

No82s
Penny Pincher Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  00:05:59  Show Profile Send No82s a Private Message
It's all about the Boy Scout thing - Be Prepared. If you did it, you are carrying it thru life.

The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is that the pessimist is better informed.

Edited by - No82s on 12/13/2009 00:09:57
Go to Top of Page

caridad
Penny Pincher Member

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  11:37:01  Show Profile Send caridad a Private Message
double dip sometimes a triple dip in the market. that's how depressions and recessions go. it's a rolercoaster, really.

ARE YOU READY? ARE YOU SELF SUFFICIENT? ARE YOU GREEN????
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  12:12:27  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
It certainly doesn't hurt. Just be wise about it, prepare as you are able and it will also teach you lessons in budgeting, planning, etc.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

silversound

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  09:05:16  Show Profile Send silversound a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless

Rawles says (and I and many of you will agree) that prepping doesn't indicate a lack of faith in God's provision for us--rather, it puts us in a position to avoid relying on others whose resources will likely also be strained if an emergency hits (a lot like Joseph in Genesis 41-42).

I personally see prepping as evidence of God's provision for us - we have been gifted with the insight, forethought, wisdom, calling (if you will) to make sure that we are able to support ourselves no matter what comes. No one criticized Noah for building an ark...Well, if they did, then...um...well you know what happened.
Besides, "God takes care of those who take care of themselves!"
Go to Top of Page

silversound

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  09:19:52  Show Profile Send silversound a Private Message
Also, if you're not one for Christianity, The Complete Works Of Lao Tzu Tao Teh Ching #64 (Translation and Elucidation by Hua-Ching Ni) states:

Tackle Difficulties when they are easy.
Accomplish great things when they are small.
Handle what is going to be rough when it is still smooth.
Control what has not yet formed it's force.
Deal with a dangerous situation while it is safe.
Manage what is hard while it is soft.
Eliminate what is vicious before it becomes destructive
This is called
"Attending to great things at small beginnings."

and for those with a more modern leaning,

"Dig your well before you're thirsty!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page