Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 rough estimate of copper percentage by weight
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  23:18:05  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I'm taking the night off from sorting after a hellacious day at work. So I've been reading several pages of previous posts and found a subject that interested me. We hand sorters would all like to make the best use of our time. Not sure what company is supplying the boxes I get out here in Central Ca but was wondering (they seem to uniformly weigh 14.5 on the bathroom scale). Has anyone devised (or would they like to construct a rough estimate) of the percentage of potential Cu in unsearched boxes determined by weight? It would be really handy to have something to refer to that specified, for instance, 14.1lbs zilch, 14.5 9%, 14.8 13%, etc, but break it down into smaller increments. Think how much time we could save without having to crack dud boxes? Any math whizzes out there up to the task?

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  23:56:19  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
ok, did it myself. You can interpolate median values by dividing the incremental levels in half:

Coin weight or 50 rolls (disregarding cardboard box):
13.84lbs = 2%
13.91lbs = 4%
13.98lbs = 6%
14.05lbs = 8%
14.11lbs = 10%
14.18lbs = 12%
14.25lbs = 14%
14.32lbs = 16%
14.38lbs = 18%
14.45lbs = 20%
14.53lbs = 22%
14.59lbs = 24%
14.65lbs = 26%
14.72lbs = 28%
14.78lbs = 30%

okay, so this is a fairly accurate approximation (which doesn't account for heavier dirty/tarry coins) which should save anyone with a digital scale from getting skunked. I figure anything with at least a probability of producing a 10% mining return is worth hand-sorting, and those lucky bums with Ryedale's can dump anything in without giving it a second thought.

Hoard now and hold on!

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  00:03:27  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
A box of 100% zinc weighs 14.1 pounds. A box of 100% copper weighs 17.3 pounds. You could set up a spreadsheet that would tell you within a few pennies how many coppers are in the box based on weight.. but that would take all the fun and surprise out of it. Even us lucky bums with 3 Ryedales don't bother to sort the solid zinc boxes. We have to use whatever tools we can since the copper percentages are a little lower out here in CA.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

54 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2009 :  11:38:44  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Great topic, Does the 17.3 pounds include wrappers and box?
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  02:38:15  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WulfgangKreed

Great topic, Does the 17.3 pounds include wrappers and box?

I think so. That is why Hoard's numbers do not match the posted list - the list ignores the box and paper.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  02:55:12  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Yes, the 17.3 and the 14.1 include the box and paper. I thought the original question was to determine what amount of copper a box has in it and whether it is worth opening. Not sure how accurate your bathroom scale is at the lower levels.. maybe I should try a few boxes on mine. The scale I use is the same one that vending machine guys use to calculate how much money each machine has generated by weighing the coins. You can put a roll of coins on it and it will tell you if the roll is short or not. It is accurate to 2/100ths of a pound. I use it to verify weight of copper boxes prior to shipment and zinc boxes prior to bank return.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  11:00:05  Show Profile Send Investin Cents a Private Message
I get $50 bags of cents unwrapped. I weigh each bag to see about what my hit rate should be. Here's my 1st 4 bags' wt. vs. copper % (in wt. order):
29.2 lbs = 25.56%
29.4 = 27.88%
29.8 = 33.52%
30.2 = 40.9%

If you graph this it is pretty linear. I am a numbers "nut" for my work so this hobby is perfect for me!

The rough formula for $50 bags is:
(((Wt. - 27.558)/0.00220462262)/(3.1/2.5))*0.9887

Wt. is cents only - no bag (they weigh ~ 0.4 lbs)

So the rates from beauanderos roughly equal my findings & my formula. Just divide my weights in half of course.

It was sureal to find that 30.2lb bag. That was the best find! So many nice coppers! I just got 4 more bags from a different branch location & all are about 29.4lbs. Back to more realistic hit rates. Good luck!

Most recent book I've read: "Meltdown" by Thomas E. Woods Jr. Current book: "I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone & No One Can Pay" by John Lanchester
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  14:07:13  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
This is great. Except that my bathroom scale is not very accurate. Also it's less accurate because i mainly use it on a rug. My boxes of 100% coppers run around 15 - 16 lbs. Though I never complain when i stand on it, the scale is very kind in this respect.

~ JobIII

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  18:20:41  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I would love to get boxes that FAT! All mine are no more than 14.5, grrrhh!!! Like HCBTT says, California percentages are low. I wonder if the Portland Mint is draining the West Coast?

Hoard now and hold on!

Go to Top of Page

TXTim
Penny Hoarding Member

629 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  21:04:28  Show Profile Send TXTim a Private Message
I have a spread sheet for boxes.
Anyone who wants it can PM me.

Beer is my currency.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2009 :  01:05:52  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
beauanderos.. the big advantage to sorting is Ca is it costs you almost nothing. Since there are a lot less coppers in the mix, you get most of your money back when you redeem the zincs. You can enjoy the hobby almost unristricted since you won't be compelled to save a bundh of coppers.

Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  00:31:06  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
HCBTT I'm not sure if that's a tongue-in-cheek comment of not, but taken at face value I want my hobby to be a little more productive than merely inexpensive and time-consuming. I'm listening to the advice you and others have left in other threads and today I made a zinc dump route map for my hometown. Between BOA's and Chase banks I can hit 19 banks for $50 drops each, hopefully within a four hour loop. You think I could get away with that as frequently as once every two weeks? Or would that still be a problem? My supply bank will be a different bank than the dumpsites.

Hoard now and hold on!

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  01:42:42  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Tongue planted firmly in cheek. Why do you think I have so much equipment? hehe I think you could probably drop $100 on each branch and maybe stretch it to 3 or 4 weeks between dumps. Some will be more receptive than others. Chase generally requires the zincs to be rolled, while BofA often allows loose precounted bags. 19 bags is kind of heavy.. will your vehicle handle the weight? Now overlay your supply banks and see if you can do pickups and dropoffs on the same run.

For optimum productivity you need to start with a Ryedale. If you have nearly $1000 to dump every 2 weeks, you should not be hand sorting.

Go to Top of Page

Dalsuh
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
757 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  02:39:14  Show Profile Send Dalsuh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

For optimum productivity you need to start with a Ryedale. If you have nearly $1000 to dump every 2 weeks, you should not be hand sorting.

It will also prevent strabismus.

PACK THE FORUM EVERY MONDAY NIGHT
Eastern 9 PM
Central 8 PM ( Forum Time )
Mountain 7 PM
Pacific 6 PM ( HoardCopperByTheTon Time)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2