Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Coin roll "breaker" or unroller
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MaDeuce
Penny Pincher Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  21:29:52  Show Profile Send MaDeuce a Private Message
Like a few other of you, I've been under a rock sorting away, and haven't posted in a long while.

I am in the market for a "roll breaker," "roll cracker," or other machine that will remove coins from either paper or shrink wrap rolls.

I've talked with many major dealers of coin equipment. While some have seen then, none are aware of any that are for sale. Does anyone on this list know of a manufacturer of these? If so, I'd be eternally grateful for the info.

I am looking for a commercial quality device that would stand up sustained use. In addition to getting the coins out, it would have to remove the paper/plastic from the loose coin.

I know they are out there, I just gotta find one.

Thanks a bunch!
MaDeuce

just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  07:53:27  Show Profile Send just carl a Private Message
Odd question. I never heard of anything to open rolls. I've always seen people at stores just banging the rolls against something hard, they break open, coins dumped into cash register. Even plastic ones just break open. Best machine in the world, edge of hard counter or desk.

Carl
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  09:22:58  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
My guess would be that only a few business in the country (Brinks and similar large coin processing operations) require automated coin roll opening. Banks send their extra customer rolled coins to the coin processing operations who break them open and recount and rewrap them. As such, I would bet you are talking about large custom hardware that is probably impractical for home use. Also, I wonder if the equipment would even handle plastic wrapped coins because in theory there would never be a need to reopen and rewrap these. However I will do a search and see if I can come up with anything.

Has anybody ever thought about approaching Brinks or similiar directly to try and get coin bags instead of rolls? Of course you have to pay Brinks fees...
Go to Top of Page

MaDeuce
Penny Pincher Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  10:18:23  Show Profile Send MaDeuce a Private Message
As suggested, Brinks, as well as other coin processors, can usually unroll coins for you. Of course, they charge as much to unroll as they do to roll them, thus my interest in an unrolling machine.

For the volume of coins that we have been dealing with, breaking them open manually simply won't work. Not only does it take too long, it will eventually kill your hands. We progressed to a crude but effective system that used razor blades to slice open multiple rolls at once. Even then, you still have to pick up the sliced rolls, extract the coins, and make sure that no paper gets into your loose coin.

What I have been told is that the roll crackers that are out there are very old, but they work very well. And generally, when someone gets one, they never get rid of them. I keep telling myself that surely there is someone out there that makes these, so I keep looking. But so far, no luck.

If I find one, I'll pass along the info. If nothing else, I imagine it would be of at least academic interest to many on this list, if not of practical value.

MaDeuce
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  10:32:49  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I remember I came accross the ultimate coin unroller while searching the web a while back. It was called the Roll Cracker 1000. It is supposed to break open about 100 rolls per minute and has a vacuum setup to suck up all the paper and plastic. It weighs about a 3/4 of a ton, so shipping would probably be kind of high for it. I don't think I could hide one of these in the garage without the lady of the house noticing.. I would get busted for sure <G>. I think I may have come accross it on the N.F. String web site.

Here is a link to the ultimate machine! If you have to ask how much it is, you probably can't afford it.. LOL
You must be logged in to see this link.

"Preserving coinage.. 2 tons at a time"

HoardCode0.1:M48/14USCA:US1Cu639700:US5Ni2400:CA5Ni46

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 06/13/2007 11:02:20
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  11:35:25  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
MaDeuce,

If you are sorting enough pennies that you need an industrial roll cracker, you are my idol.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  14:16:29  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Manual version, one roll at a time, apparently good for plastic sleeves

Another unit, though it is handheld

Yet another manual opener, but seems like a good quality unit. It looks as though you drop the roll in and the devicecuts it open with a downward push of a lever

Pacific Handy Cutter, Inc.
714-662-1033
800-229-2233

Product #: CB-00205
Product Name: PHC Safety Coin Roll Cutter(R)

Unit Price: $21.90
or
Product #: CC-00206
Product Name: PHC Safety Coin Roll Cutter(R)
Unit Price: $18.70

Downside, $50.00 minimum order needed. They have other cutting supplies available, maybe there is an object you could use you couldn't get elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

I should have chosen "Cut-n-Paste" as a forum name, since that is what I do, mostly.
Go to Top of Page

MaDeuce
Penny Pincher Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  19:53:38  Show Profile Send MaDeuce a Private Message
Wow, thanks guys!

The hand unrollers are pretty ingenious. It actually seems like there ought to be a lot of alternatives out there for hand crackers as it appears to be a great field for fertile imaginations.

What is really coincidental is that no less than 30 minutes of making my last post, I ran across rollcracker.com too. And this is after 3-4 months of looking, calling, and pestering people. I missed the saleslady's call today, but we are supposed to talk tomorrow.

Whatever I find out about the Roll Cracker 1000, I'll post back to the list here. It is supposed to do 100 rolls per minute and weighs 1500 pounds. I'll bet it makes a godawful amount of noise when running.

From what I've heard about the older ones, they are more or less like a rotating drum with obstacles inside. The drum rotates, tossing the rolls into the obstacles. Slightly like a mortar or cement mixer.

It will be interesting to see how they get rid of the wrappers and how one gets the loose coin out of the system.

MaDeuce
Go to Top of Page

MaDeuce
Penny Pincher Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  15:42:55  Show Profile Send MaDeuce a Private Message
Here's the update I promised... I spoke with the RollCracker sales lady today. They've been making these machines for a very long time. Their primary customer, not surprisingly, is armored car companies. List price is $15K, they are made to order, and lead time is 12 weeks. It is actually cheaper than I'd expected. They also claim that it can run constantly; as coin rolls are fed in, loose coin simply comes out the other end. In other words, it's a process flow machine as opposed to a batch machine. In all, it sounds pretty damn nice. If I pick up one of these puppies, I'll report back how well they work.

MaDeuce
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2